Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: ethics of a live poker game

Having poor eyesight, I always point out marked cards to the dealer when playing live. I figure if I see one in my hand, others can likely see the marking from farther away and I'm at a disadvantage.

When playing online the dealer never does anything about it, so I have to wipe the screen myself.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When playing online the dealer never does anything about it, so I have to wipe the screen myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

And here I am spending so much time meticulously marking up my monitor, and you just go ahead and wipe them off! D@mn you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 AM

Poker is not about making friends with people at the table, its about improving your game, so when you sit down at a table you will leave with more money then you sat with. If you are unable to play the game in a way that allows you to put your "feelings and emotions" aside, then poker might be the wrong game for you to be playing.

I think if you are unable to play your game because you feel to compationate for weak players, then you probably shouldn't be the one trying to give old people, or bad players advice anyway. It isn't about making sure everyone at the table is having a good time, that just isn't what poker is. The players who are their to have a good time don't care about the money, and are usually the ones you should attack. Rather then soft play these weak players, take advantage of them and make yourself some money.

Poker is ruthless and players arent going to feel bad for you... so you shouldnt waste your time feeling bad for them
Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 PM

If they are your "friends"
while you are away from the table,
1) Tell them not to play
2) Tell them not to play
3) Tell them not to play.

4) As soon as they sit down, Take all their chips.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 PM

I always point out marked cards. I think it's the correct thing to do.

I still feel pity for the sucker who reloads 4 times and plays almost every hand. I don't feel bad enough to ask him to stop. There is one player I see frequenly (and I don't play live that much any more) who I assumed was playing with his rent money (or welfare money). He would buy into the lowest limit game for the minumum, and keep reloading, sometimes for hours. Come to find out he owns apartment complexes and is "independently wealthy". It goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I don't really care about people away from the table. I just want to take their chips when they are playing with me. I actually don't like playing poker with my friends. I don't take the game seriously and it effects my play...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 PM

2. There is an Australian expression that applies to this. Never give a mug an even break.

You aren't their social worker it's their choice to put their money in play.

I heard Mark Seif in an interview recently and he refered to the Mike Tyson line of "I want to eat his children." Personally I think this is good Poker advice.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:40 PM

I think that your question about dealing with weak players is a very difficult ethical question. My view is that if a player sits down at the table aware of the fact that poker is a game of skill rather than luck then their money is fair game regardless of whether it is "rent money" or not.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM

Simple stuff.

Robert's Rules of Poker - Irregularities #5 reads in part, "A player who knows the deck is defective has an obligation to point this out."

Brother's Keeper?

meh, it's up to you. I'm not about to suggest that one line or the other is morally superior.