Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Great web site for O8?

If you just play the "top 18%" of starting hands (or whatever), irrespective of the other players at the table and your position, you're leaving money at the table.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I simply evaluate the Hutchinson rating for all 270,725 O8 hands, I find only 16% rated at 18 points or higher. IMHO, 18-point hands are pretty marginal and I want to be in late position or some other favorable situation. Otherwise, I will fold most of them. Hutchinson recommends only playing hands rated at 20-points or better (12% of all hands).

Only 3% of all starting hands rate above 25 points, which I will play in almost any situation.

I believe there are several variants of Hutchinson. IIRC, I coded up this one: http://www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html

Effen

[/ QUOTE ]

I always viewed the Hutchinson system as 'training wheels' for newbies. Rather tight and geared towards keeping the fresh meat from losing his/her shirt before getting a good understanding for O8.
I am biased though, since it is how I got into the game, and now I'm only a moderate fish. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 PM

Buzz pretty much said everything i wanted to say.

i think these articles are good for uncovering topics to think about, but i think his conclusions are not necessarily that useful. it's important to adapt to the players at your table and even the players in a specific hand. the kinds of sweeping generalizations that this guy seems to make just strikes me as hollow.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM

Agreed... articles might be useful for beginners or people who stick to loose B&M LO8 games. Didn't seem very interesting to me though.