Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Sports Video Games: the thrill of vicotry and the agony of defeat

Great thread.

One that was both for me was playing my brother in a SNES Madden game. Neither of us had ever hit 100 before, and we usually had pretty close games. Well, everything snowballed in this game, and I took a 95-7 lead with 3 minutes to go. He throws an INT and then shuts the machine off. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I punched him straight in the head.

I also remember in Tecmo Super Bowl, going 16-0 in the reg. season and losing like 35-17 in the conference semis. WTF?????

The first time you KO Mike Tyson is a hell of a feeling, also. I also still remember the night I figured out King Hippo and Bald Bull.

I also remember a comeback from a 28-0 deficit in an NCAA game on PS I. It was OU vs Texas, which made it sweet for me.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
worst: losing 4 straight games in NHL 94 a couple weeks ago

after years of thinking I was the best player in the world, I've discovered I'm probably only top 5 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

best: before the ND/Florida St game in 1993, winning hockey for like 3 hours straight, enabling me to keep the 'good chair' in the room for the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Best: Winning the Toronto Sega Hockey 94 tournament - over 500 competitors. The finals were held at Maple Leaf Gardens and emceed by none other than Doug Gilmour himself.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also remember a comeback from a 28-0 deficit in an NCAA game on PS I. It was OU vs Texas, which made it sweet for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot one of mine. I scored 27 4th quarter points and was about to kick the XP to tie the game. I ran to pee real quick before the kick (should of just paused the game) and when I got back I rushed to kick the XP and hit the X button 2 times right in a row causing my kick to shank and I lost by 1 point. It was easily my greatest comeback followed by the most crushing moment.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

after years of thinking I was the best player in the world, I've discovered I'm probably only top 5 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

best: before the ND/Florida St game in 1993, winning hockey for like 3 hours straight, enabling me to keep the 'good chair' in the room for the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Best: Winning the Toronto Sega Hockey 94 tournament - over 500 competitors. The finals were held at Maple Leaf Gardens and emceed by none other than Doug Gilmour himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG! ZOD vs. THIS DUDE GRUDGE MATCH!

rj
Old 07-20-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG! ZOD vs. THIS DUDE GRUDGE MATCH!

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

dude you play online?

$5k HU FREEEZOUT BABYB!!!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Anytime!

You can play Sega Hockey 94 online?? I had no idea.

I haven't played in about 4 years, but I'm sure with a few days practice I'd be able to take anyone in the world. The tourney had a great rule - one player picks the two teams to play and the other got to pick which one he wants. I loved it when people tried to sneak in San Jose as the 'crappy team' and I pwned them everytime by choosing the Sharks.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 PM

Guys, how do you not win every Tecmo Super Bowl game that you play by 70+ points?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first time you KO Mike Tyson is a hell of a feeling, also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was 2 Tecmo Bowl games between two guys from my college dorm, Pete and Dave. There were 5-6 of us watching.

Game 1: Pete is leading by 3 with just a few seconds left, and kicks off to Dave. Dave breaks about 18 tackles and is charging down the sideline for the game-winning TD. Pete walks him down and does a perfect dive tackle on Dave at the 1-yard-line, game over.

Dave is enraged and demands an immediate rematch.

Game 2: This time, roles are reversed, and Dave takes the lead with a few seconds left, so Pete needs a touchdown. Same scenario, Pete breaks a bunch of tackles, but Dave is just kind of keeping his controlled guy back like a safety. Pete gets in the clear and just has Dave to beat, but Dave starts running in little circles and talking trash, because he knows Pete can't get behind him. As Pete gets to about the 5-yard line, a random computer player from Pete's team enters the picture (?), so Pete gets next to his teammate and runs the guy into Dave's player, they get tangled up (OHHHHH!), and Pete goes into the end zone with the winner!

Dave threw the entire console into the hallway, and the rest of us laughed for the next 10 minutes straight.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:05 PM

Madden 2004:

A group of friends regularly played for money, So I went over to his house because his cousin was playing. He always spoke of how great his cousin was and I had no chance. I also knew they always played with there "adjusted rosters" but he refused to reset the game and play without loading any extras.

I still agreed at $20 a game which always included a 21-0 pay double games over clause.

We start playing my regular old team of Green Bay I believe versus his Bucs team. Clearly hes cheating as Alstott breaks into the open and pulls away from my entire defense even my corners/safeties. So I know Im done for, he blows me out 21-0 I pay up double and hes talking smack.

I respond "Thats OK, you are probably hungry anyways as you spend all your money on bad jewelry" He was wearing a giant rapper gold cross and like 3 other chains.

He gets all pissed off threatening me and I laugh at him.

He finally leaves as my friend walks him out.

Friend comes back in "What the [censored] is wrong with you, Why would you say that [censored], I had to talk him out of bringing his gun in here and shooting you" and knowing him and how he spoke of his cousing. This was very true. I coulda died over Madden.

Side note: all you bastards scoring 60 and 70 points in madden better be playing on Madden level otherwise you all suck.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anytime!

You can play Sega Hockey 94 online?? I had no idea.

I haven't played in about 4 years, but I'm sure with a few days practice I'd be able to take anyone in the world. The tourney had a great rule - one player picks the two teams to play and the other got to pick which one he wants. I loved it when people tried to sneak in San Jose as the 'crappy team' and I pwned them everytime by choosing the Sharks.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I'll pm you the site/forum/league.

wrt to the best players in the world - there are a bunch of ridiculous players in Finland, of all places. there is 1 guy from Toronto I play who can keep up with them, but he's apparently the only guy in north america that can.

/dork out

ps that rule is a pretty good one. we would normally just outlaw the all stars and chicago, and everyone else was fair game