Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: I am really [censored] sore

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also - eat a banana. You might want to restore your potassium levels. Are you taking a multi-vitamin and drinking enough water?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I drink lots of water. That reminds me, I just ate dinner, gotta take a vitamin, thanks.

I hate bananas though.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, who hates bananas. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, drinking a lot of water can cause muscle soreness, actually. Make sure you have enough sodium and potassium intake with the water you are taking in.

Creatine also helps with muscle recovery if you care to go that route, as does L-Glutamine. Creatine has questionable side effects (I think it's fine), but L-Glutamine is widely considered safe. Your best bet is to get a protein powder mix fortified with amino acids - Champion Nutrition Whey Protein mix tastes as good as a protein shake can (still tastes like chalk, just not as bad) and has L-Glutamine in it.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:39 PM

I love being sore. For some reason I just really like the feeling. My calves are sore as hell today because I walked down 40 flights of stairs in a high-rise yesterday. I have a game tomorrow and will likely not be in the best shape to do much hard running.

The following day(s) after being sore, I will usually do light stretching to sort of loosen up a bit. Also, I like to jump in the pool and basically do the same thing with less resistance.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 PM

Potassium
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Awesome. Spinach is good.

NT
Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 PM

You could use this. From Johnstonefitness.com, a pretty good site and forum on all things working out and cutting fat wise.

AtLarge Nutrition's ETS (Extreme Training Support) Supplement. This is a great supplement! It's basically an all-natural blend of ZMA (Zinc/Magnesium complex) and MicroLactin. I supplement with it because it considerably decreases DOMS (muscle soreness), it naturally boosts testosterone levels and it reduces joint pain and stiffness. The ZMA provides the added benefit of a deep, restful night's sleep. A good night's sleep is very important to muscle development and one's overall health. It's amazing how well I've been sleeping while taking ETS!

Link to product: Link
Old 07-15-2006, 09:52 PM

I'm with you on the soreness dude. I rode my bike over the Williamsburg Bridge today...twice (13 miles total). You wouldn't think that riding a bike over a bridge would be that big of a deal, until you actually get on it and see that there is about 3/4 mile incline of a couple hundred feet. And after this I played soccer [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2006, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't potassium supposed to be really good for sore muscles? Banana's and OJ are good sources of potassium.

[/ QUOTE ]

so are potatoes - moreso then you would think -

I needed to raise my potassium levels when I went on high blood pressure meds -

RB
Old 07-15-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The advice above is good. Another very important, but often overlooked think is STRETCHING. This helps prevents tons of injuries and will prevent a lot of soreness after lifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Stretch before AND after. I've very rarely been hurt anywhere near seriously despite some pretty mind-boggling, barf-inducing work-outs because I have always stretched a lot, and taken my time to relax into it rather than try to force it and get it over quickly. Pretty much everyone else I've ever known has taken themselves out of the game countless times, and they've to a man stretched less than me. Seems clear enough to me, especially since I've been around so many athletes for years.

Also, taken an aspirin.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:03 PM

Stretching before working out has never proven to prevent injuries. Warming up and cooling down properly are key. Also, stretching afterwards is beneficial.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:06 PM

Yeah there's no way to stop the soreness, you can only hope to contain.

Now to answer a question with a question: Are you from North Tonawanda?