Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Burning Man 2006 - Any 2p2ers going?

true its hippie stuff, but it looks amazing...
tell us more about it since you've been there once....
Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.burningman.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

So I clicked through 3 different "What is Burning Man?" links and still have no idea. Looks like just a bunch of people running around doing weird stuff while on drugs in the desert for a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost had it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 PM

Man that brings back some memories. I went from 98-02. Some of the coolest times I've ever had (figuratively). In all sincerity BM changed my life. Most of my life I've always felt kind of like the village weirdo. But then I get to a place where everyone is the village weirdo, and it's the most beautiful experience I can imagine with some of the most incredible people in the world. I felt like I finally found my tribe. I'm butchering this horribly. Get me effed-up some time and I'll explain it a lot better.

But after 5 years, I just had a hard time mustering up the time, effort and $$ to do it right. Looking at those pics really makes me think I might go again some time in the near futre though...

Coolest burning man story I heard (2nd hand): Some dude had made a short film. But he was nervous because he put a Todd Rundgren on the end of it and hadn't gotten permission. Well he's standing in line at the Chai bar and realizes Todd Rundgren is right behind him. So he tells his story, and Todd signs over the rights to the song on a napkin. Probably true, Todd Rundgren is a big burner. Crazy karmic coincidences like this are definitely the norm at BM.

Have a blast! Those pics brought a smile to my face.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I clicked through 3 different "What is Burning Man?" links and still have no idea. Looks like just a bunch of people running around doing weird stuff while on drugs in the desert for a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost had it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaah...now I get it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 PM

The giant croquet setup and the tall, metal structure in the video are art installations. These are all over the place, but the biggest and (usually) best are out in the open playa.

Camps are set up in concentric circles like streets around the man. The man is the absolute center of the entire setup.

The guy on the motorcycle and the giant glowing head are 'mutant vehicles' that you see all over the place. There are also party buses that serve drinks (everything is free) and drive around to random locations (ie the tall metal cage in the video).
Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 PM

BURRNNNINNNGGG MMANNNNNN

Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 PM

Suzzer, crazy story. Adding to what you said, it seems like everyone goes out of their way to be nice to each other, which is a refreshing change.

My favorite story from last year:

We're coming down from our trip and my buddy and I are walking around aimlessly around the perimeter of the camp around dusk. Off in the distance, about 300 yards outside the outermost street, we see a light. We don't have [censored] to do at this point so we walk towards it. As we get closer, we hear drums and see the silouhette of guy sitting down, playing a single drum. Just nothing but this one guy, sitting alone in the middle of the desert, playing the drum. We sit down a few feet in front of him and listen to him play for about 20 minutes. The guy was absolutely amazing, words really can't do his performance justice. We kicked it with him for a little while afterwards. Weird [censored].
Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Get a job hippie!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a job hippie!

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:22 PM

At my first job a programmer took a week off to go. I remember that when he told me, I immediately thought, "I knew I didn't like him for a reason."