Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Gosh darn river

Mikey: Wow, Bet the turn man. Value and protection. As played, call river.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:20 PM

ahh...thnx
Old 07-13-2006, 04:23 PM

The combination of checking the turn and the Ad hitting on the river makes this a tougher spot than it should be. Its a great card for Villian to take a stab at the pot with. I'd throw $18-$20 out on the turn. As played, I call river anyway.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:45 PM

$16 seems like a good price on the turn.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you called the river I quite like your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious, what should I be thinking in these turn situations when trying for pot control vs. protecting my hand against draws? What about the hand is making you think that, in this case, pot control > protecting against draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. Against bluffy players who can lay down a flush draw to a decent bet on the turn, checking MAY have more value.

But here's the thing: by checking this turn, you are giving players a green light to bluff the river. This means that you pretty much have to pay off a flush that gets there. This, in turn means they were correct to call the flop.

There's a section in NLHTP that states that whenever you are committed to paying off a draw when it hits, you are better off betting to price the draw out.

Now, if you had JJ here, or something where you might call a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river bet, but could often fold to a big river bet, then checking to pick off a bluff may well be better. But your hand has too much value to just fold to a bet on the river, which means that when you check the turn, you are always going to be paying off the flush, and it's better to bet now. If you bet now, and are called, you can usually very safely fold a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river big bet.

Plus, it's seriously sexy to bet-turn-check-behind on a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river and see Villain's whiffed check-raise.

As to the hand in question, this is a flush draw that paired it's A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a lot. I'd seriously consider raising here, but you have to at least call. This is absolutely not a bad river card for you, and the fact that you think it is suggests some results-oriented thinking (i.e. it sounds like you payed off KJ here and wondered if it was wrong, so you decided to post it).