Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Why NASA sucks

If NASA sucks you can thank politicians for the shuttle when we should be using far cheaper dumb rockets, men instead of far cheaper robots, etc. You can also thank politicians for this:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=19221
Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm torn about NASA.

One the one hand I firmly believe we should be spending money on space exploration and experiments.

On the other hand we are such a bunch of pussies that when a mission goes wrong we have to spend a trillion dollars to make ourselves feel better. Accidents happen, mistakes happen. It was predicted that 1 in x missions will fail. Well it did. Move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

"NASA engineers estimated the rate of failure for the shuttle at 1-in-145 (0.7 percent), but the program suffered two complete losses in its first 113 launches."
Old 07-13-2006, 04:56 PM

+/- 1%.

I still think pure science and space exploration are worthy causes.

But NASA isn't doing a great job of it lately. They are more afraid of failure and losing budget money.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
+/- 1%.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Discovery lands you'll be in the acceptable range. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is really denying this, and I for one agree. But just because you (or I) think something is a "worthy cause" does not give anyone license to force others to pay for it.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm torn about NASA.

One the one hand I firmly believe we should be spending money on space exploration and experiments.

On the other hand we are such a bunch of pussies that when a mission goes wrong we have to spend a trillion dollars to make ourselves feel better. Accidents happen, mistakes happen. It was predicted that 1 in x missions will fail. Well it did. Move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

"NASA engineers estimated the rate of failure for the shuttle at 1-in-145 (0.7 percent), but the program suffered two complete losses in its first 113 launches."

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm torn about NASA.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
+/- 1%.

But NASA isn't doing a great job of it lately. They are more afraid of failure and losing budget money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in total agreement here. They designed a system that would fail at 144 to 1, and I would go to space once with those odds. It would be a life-changing experience and would be well worth the risk. Why is NASA so afraid of failure? I hate to see people lose lives, but, like I said, I'll be the first on the list if they start running out of willing people wanting to go.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
+/- 1%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in total agreement here. They designed a system that would fail at 144 to 1, and I would go to space once with those odds. It would be a life-changing experience and would be well worth the risk. Why is NASA so afraid of failure? I hate to see people lose lives, but, like I said, I'll be the first on the list if they start running out of willing people wanting to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

It likely has more to do with funding. Failing in such a public way isn't good.