Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: The Sushi Craze

Location has everything to do with this. I assume that LA and SF have superior sushi places because we have more Japanese people. Here, going at for sushi is as common as getting a burger or mexican or whatever.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM

a. did you just wake up from a 20 year coma?

b. sushi - just the food - is no more expensive than say a good steak dinner.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM

I'm not a fan of sushi either. I've had some that I've enjoyed, but none that I've preferred to say a big, juicy cheeseburger. With that said, it's been around forever so it's hardly a fad.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM

I think sushi is pretty big on the east and west coast (esp NY and LA). I didn't realize this was a "new" fad, and I don't think it's going to fade away. A good steak dinner probably costs the same as a sushi dinner except sushi, while delicious, is hardly filling.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think sushi is pretty big on the east and west coast

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey hey hey!!!! Sushi is big in Texas too!! We scrape the crap off the outside and use it for bait to catch something edible.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
b. sushi - just the food - is no more expensive than say a good steak dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with sushi you're paying $50 to fill a fourth of your stomach.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:28 AM

I love it for a lot of reasons

1) it's not all even close to that expensive. There is a restaurant in downtown MTL I go to 3 days a week that has a $15 lunch special that includes: miso soup, salad, full plate of sushi (like 18 pieces of amazing stuff), tea, and vanilla with red bean ice cream for dessert. Considering it costs $9 for a subway trio, this is pretty much a no brainer.

2) It's very healthy. If you want to go out to eat, odds are you are faced with something like fatty meats, fried foods, etc. Not that I don't love that every once and a while, but I would be a whale if I went out to eat 3x a week at those places instead of sushi.

3) It is incredibly delicious and beautiful. I don't know if it is an acquired taste, but sushi is my favorite food besides MAYBE a really nice steak. It just has everything you would want in a piece of food and the presentation is absolutely breathtaking. It really is an art.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) it's not all even close to that expensive. There is a restaurant in downtown MTL I go to 3 days a week that has a $15 lunch special that includes: miso soup, salad, full plate of sushi (like 18 pieces of amazing stuff), tea, and vanilla with red bean ice cream for dessert. Considering it costs $9 for a subway trio, this is pretty much a no brainer.

2) It's very healthy. If you want to go out to eat, odds are you are faced with something like fatty meats, fried foods, etc. Not that I don't love that every once and a while, but I would be a whale if I went out to eat 3x a week at those places instead of sushi.

3) It is incredibly delicious and beautiful. I don't know if it is an acquired taste, but sushi is my favorite food besides MAYBE a really nice steak. It just has everything you would want in a piece of food and the presentation is absolutely breathtaking. It really is an art.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it is an acquired taste. I hated sushi and didn't like the sight of it before college. When I got to college, I love this stuff (fatty tuna, salmon are faves).

There are definitely sushi bargains around if you look for them.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM

I will not even eat cooked fish.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:47 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i absouletely love sushi. there are a few reasons, and gildwulf hit on a few of them. first, the health issue. when i want to eat dinner usually falls like right after i play soccer, where im somewhat dehydrated, hungry and and want something refreshing. the thought of cooked beef/chicken/anything greasy sucks at this point. i think eating sushi instead of much of the things i ate before probably contributed to my weight loss greatly. lastly, sushi gets too much crap for being overpriced. taco bell is cheap because it sucks and is terrible for you, sushi is expensive because its delicious and healthy.

people who cant stand the thought of raw fish confuse me. this is premium fish here, not some crap. to me, this fish is going to be much higher quality than most cooked fish as well as better tasting(i cant stand cooked fish, but love raw fish). regardless, going to a japanese resturant doesnt require one to eat raw fish by any stretch of the imagination.

my first sushi love was unagi(grilled eel), it tastes pretty chickeny and delicious. i love all types of fish now, but there are a few ways to step your foot in the shallow end as they say.

sushi [censored] rules.

rj