Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Blood pressure is 156/110.

[ QUOTE ]
The normal safe "high BP" rule of thumb is the upper number should be no higher than 100 + your age and the bottom number should not exceed 94.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost entirely untrue. Stress on almost. But, OP's BP is too high, he should see a doctor. If lifestyle changes (diet and exercise) don't bring it down to an acceptable range (at most 130/90) then medication will probably be needed.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM

156/110 is pretty normal if you've been taking lard intravenously.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:45 AM

i have high bp and high cholesterol. currently taking benecar, tricor and vytorin.

i have a bp monitor i'm supposed to use twice daily and log results.

my doc said changing diet and adding exercise will help reduce the chol # only 10%, medication is needed to reduce it further.

i am slightly overweight and exercise moderately.

alcohol and family history are my downfalls.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Mine was always around 140/80 much of my life (I'm now 37), which was borderline, but didn't require medication.

Over time, it crept up to 150/95 about 5 years ago. I went on HZTC, which is basically a diurectic. That helped a little. I'm now on Lisinopril, which is an ACE in hibitor. It helps quite a bit.

I'm fit, I always was active, my resting pulse rate in the high 50's to low 60's. I eat well. Basically, I do all the right things, but I'm screwed by genetics.

See a doctor. Get on some meds.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:28 AM

I woke up and checked it and it was normal. I went and ran and then ate and it was normal again, but a little higher. I think it raises during the day... that might be why a lot of times during the day I will be fatigue and feel like crap. I used to feel dizzy and have trouble standing and actually felt like I was drunk. This was only a few hours before I would go to sleep. I would always get more tired during the day and just couldn't wait to go to sleep. What could that be?
It has gotten much better than it used to be though. Who knows what my blood pressure was before I quit smoking, and started working out and running.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl

I think mine is like 110/55 or something crazy low...I'm not even in good shape either
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl

I think mine is like 110/55 or something crazy low...I'm not even in good shape either

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, my wife has genetically low blood pressure. 90/50 isn't uncommon. I take mine once in a while at night to see how I'm doing. I think she wants to take hers just to show off.

Perhaps it's an implicit, "See, I'm going to outlive you by 30 years and damn I'll have fun with your insurance money." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 AM

156/100 - Sell!

Seriously, my bp before meds was 150/95, after meds 125/80. I've been on bp meds for about 10 years (I'm 43), and I have nothing but good things to say about them, They make a huge difference and will very likely have no adverse side effects. Weight gain is defintely a contributing factor to hypertension, and losing as little as 10 pounds can make a difference. See your doctor and get a complete physical, and talk to other family members and see if this is hereditary, if it isn't, the weight gain is a more obvious factor. High bp is something to take seriously, as the long term consequences -- stroke, kidney trouble, head asploding -- all suck hard.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it raises during the day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blood pressure tends to rise throughout the day for various reasons. Check it at morning and at night for several days. If you're consistently in danger zones by the end of the day, then you need medication.

Well, diet and exercise help too in most cases (not mine though).

Exercise does raise your blood pressure while you're doing it, so if you have high blood pressure already, you're really pushing your luck also exercising without meds. When I ran the treadmill so they could see my blood pressure while in action (when I was getting diagnosed with high BP), it hit something like 200/100 and the nurse started to panic and made me stop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I was barely even breaking a sweat either since I'm in decent cardio shape.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Every morning.