Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Top Pair No Kicker

[ QUOTE ]

i havent read lately but im happy to see that incorrect advice is still dispensed with arrogant superiority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im really not concerned about what you think, but I do believe that with no read, betting the flop in this spot is a serious leak that many 2+2ers have.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against an unknown I think I'd bet flop, check/call turn, then c/c river again or bet if he checked turn behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet this flop, with this strong of a hand, then you dont know how to play in small pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

i havent read lately but im happy to see that incorrect advice is still dispensed with arrogant superiority.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 PM

My only problem with this is that there are a lot of gutshot or gutshot + pair or weak pair hands that can catch up easily. The turn is more dangerous than the flop obviously, but I think given the turn check the river (and I'm thinking all rivers?) is an easy check.

I'm probably betting the flop. I also wouldn't mind it being played as is.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im really not concerned about what you think, but I do believe that with no read, betting the flop in this spot is a serious leak that many 2+2ers have.

[/ QUOTE ]
How so?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Betting this flop lets him play pretty well against your hand. He probably folds almost every hand you want him to call with. Checking here lets him put in action drawing very slim.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we gain only 1SB for betting the flop, as villain will fold anything that didn't connect with this high card flop.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results :
He showed 36s for a whole lot of nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your buddy list grew by one.

I tend to play these hands much more aggressively but after reading this thread I see that doing so may be a mistake. I think that you played it fine. I assume that you bet the river if the Q doesn't pair?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Results :
He showed 36s for a whole lot of nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your buddy list grew by one.

I tend to play these hands much more aggressively but after reading this thread I see that doing so may be a mistake. I think that you played it fine. I assume that you bet the river if the Q doesn't pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
After he checks through the turn, I think checking to induce a bluff is better than betting out.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weatherhead,

Drewontilt and nubs pretty much summed up why checking will usually be the best play on this flop. When the pot is small like this, checking and inducing bets from weaker hands/bluffs will usually be the line that maximizes your earnings here. Becuz of the very small size of this pot, hand protection is not an issure, and all that matters is taking the line that will net you the most money with your hand in the long run. Against most opponents, online, betting will be couterproductive to this cause. In rare cases you will be up against someone who will call with nearly anything and rarely bet if you check. In that case betting out would be the best line. But once you reach 5-10 or higher online, this type of opponent becomes almost nonexistent. Also, in tougher games, once in a while you should bet the flop with this strong of a hand in this small pot just to keep your opponents off balance, but your default play should be to check this flop with no reads.

PS: I dont know why Victor attacked my post, maybe he was just in a catty mood, or maybe he just forgot how to play poker for a second. If he followed my posts he would understand that I dont dispense incorrect advice, its not my style. If I write something, its going to be correct. As Ive told all my ex-girlfriends, arguing with me is a waste of time, just assume im right and you'll be better off. Being arrogant is fun. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 AM

bah, i thought you were advocating betting in your post.

regardless, i can think of a few opponents betting is better against.