Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: McCain
Yes 73 59.84%
No 45 36.89%
Other / Don't know / Who is that? 4 3.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Straight Pill

what about a religon pill.

Who would administer a pill casusing a greater chance of belief in god?

who would administer a pill making belief in god less likely?

chez
Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Fascinating question. I dont know if I would do either but it feels like I should.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Fascinating question. I dont know if I would do either but it feels like I should.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think administering both are wrong and so is the gay pill. imo the test is whether or not its reasonable to believe that a person not giving the pill would wish they had been.

Its not reasonable to believe that:

Religous people wish they had been given an anti-religon pill. ditto non reliogous

Gay people wish they had been given an anti-gay pill (though they're probably fairly keen on anti-bigotry pill)

In contrast, it is reasonable to believe that deaf/dumb/blind etc etc people would wish to have been given treatment to prevent these conditions.

I wonder most about the anti-bigotry pill. Do bigots wish that they weren't, or do people like being bigots?

chez
Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think administering both are wrong and so is the gay pill. imo the test is whether or not its reasonable to believe that a person not giving the pill would wish they had been.

Religous people wish they had been given an anti-religon pill. ditto non reliogous

Gay people wish they had been given an anti-gay pill (though they're probably fairly keen on anti-bigotry pill)

In contrast, it is reasonable to believe that deaf/dumb/blind etc etc people would wish to have been given treatment to prevent these conditions.

I wonder most about the anti-bigotry pill. Do bigots wish that they weren't, or do people like being bigots?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
I was using pretty much the same test - I struggle with the religion one since if god doesnt exist I want the anti-religion pill, if god does exist, presumably you would want the pro-religion pill...I started wandering down a kind of pascal's choice argument but it's the middle of the night so didnt make much sense to myself. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 PM

I am straight, and I answered no/no.

Homesexuality is the illness; homophopia is.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, and agree that this is the measuring stick that is sort of commonly accepted in ethical debates. I just want to hijack for a second to another point you made in this post. It is easy to say, from your perspective as a hearing person, that 'deaf people would certainly wish they had not been born deaf.' But imagine a child with two deaf parents and whose family friends are mostly deaf. Perhaps that child would wish to share in that? Obviously it seems bizarre and cruel to 'inflict' deafness on a child unnecessarily, but I don't know that it is always so cut-and-dry. Thats why in these cases, I usually would default to the parent to make such a decision. But then you have the same problem again, that parents certainly do not always act in the best interest of their children.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Homesexuality is not the illness; homophopia is.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Homosexuality is not the illness; homophobia is.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFMP.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Homosexuality is not the illness; homophobia is.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFMP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I suck (no pun intended). Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
I was using pretty much the same test - I struggle with the religion one since if god doesnt exist I want the anti-religion pill, if god does exist, presumably you would want the pro-religion pill...I started wandering down a kind of pascal's choice argument but it's the middle of the night so didnt make much sense to myself. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's tricky. I think we need a truth pill. Would you take a pill that would reveal the truth to you? I guess yes, i sure would. Somehow the thought of administering it to someone else seems wrong - I think many would rather not know he truth - not at all sure though. The solution is for me to take the truth pill, then I'll know what to do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez