Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Made a week play with a mediocre hand.

[ QUOTE ]
fold or raise the flop if you don't bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is only one bet back I don't like folding this flop. Makes no sense to me.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM

You can make that case, if you can play this hand extremely well down t the river. But the situation on the turn is going to happen 90% of the time, leaving you with no clue to your hand.

The pot is small, we are out os position, we have a weak made hand, and it is vunerable to a lot of cards that can beat us. This hand presented us with a tough turn decision that gave put more draws out there in small pot where we are not sure if we are good. This hand is fold to me given that information.

Even if it is only one bet back to us, the vunerability of our hand coupled with our position, and future calls, devaules our odds. The effective odds and reverse implied odds make this a fold. Now if the pot were big, I would be rocking and rolling betting out the turn or calling down, depends on the read.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:50 PM

I guess my point is I think it's much better to just bet the flop. It's a pair of J's not a pair of 4's. I'm not advocating turning into a calling station. I think checking the flop puts you in this position. That's what leaves you with no clue about this hand.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 PM

It's easy to feel like every time you have a weak kicker, your hand is dominated. But if that's the case, why call with it at all?

Just because your kicker is a six doesn't mean there is another jack out there at all. Even if one got dealt, maybe it was dealt with an offsuit 4 and folded.

I have started betting out in these situations and either calling down (with mediocre kickers) or folding the turn unimproved (with very small kickers) if raised. Sometimes I run into someone else with a suspect but higher kicker, but for the most part I've been taking down the pots or getting out clean.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 PM

I guess it was a little miscommunication between us. In the first reply I told him to raise or fold, if he did not bet out. Betting out is by far the best option, but I thought most of the other reply's would be telling him to do this, so I focused on the decision after the MP1 bets