Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Re: ~The Only 2 Types of Mistakes in Poker~

You guys are jerks.

He didn't claim it was the post of the year.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are jerks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell us something we don't know
Old 07-07-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell us something we don't know

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not wearing any socks.

And welcome to the boards. Nice post.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 PM

If it really were so obvious that discipline is needed to play poker well, 'tilt' wouldn't be in our vocabulary.

Nice post. Welcome to SSNL.

To all the naysayers, I say BAH!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 PM

I always heard there were only 2 mistakes in poker folding the best hand and calling without the best hand (of course if you have a draw and the price is right, or you are raising and have good folding equity this is excluded)

maybe you were cleverly borrowing the title to illustrate your point. It's an important point to remember. Of all the bad beats I've suffered plus foolish calls and outrageous pushes I've made they still don't equal up to the money I've lost by going on tilt.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it really were so obvious that discipline is needed to play poker well, 'tilt' wouldn't be in our vocabulary

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless of course tilt was something that was difficult to control, wait.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For one to state that if you are not playing well you are either ignorant or stupid is simplistic at best

[/ QUOTE ]

You mis-read my post. I am not calling anyone stupid or ignorant. I simply stated that ANY mistake a player (both good and bad, novice or experienced) makes can be categorized as either an ignorant mistake (where they didn't know better), or a stupid one (where they did know better.)

You are correct about it being simplistic though. All profound truth is simple. The theory of gravity for example is not hard to understand, or, a little closer to home, is Skalansky's Theory of poker. I mean come on we all know that we would play better if we could see our opponent's cards, right? The fact is that it's a profound truth, which are almost always simple.

Actually I can take this a step further and it will still be true. The fact is that ANY mistake you make in your life is the result of either not knowing better (ignorance is bliss), or going against your better judgement (hindsight is 20/20). Again, simple, but profoundly true.

[ QUOTE ]
Tilting is just defined as the most common stupidity and the answer is to have dicipline, so you do not tilt. (or learn from your mistakes)

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Saying tilting is stupid and you must have dicipline is all very well, but offers us nothing. It is just warm air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I did not say that tilting was stupid, but tilting just means you KNOW that you are making stupid mistakes and not playing your best game. These mistakes are stupid mistakes as opposed to ignorant mistakes (where you didn't know better). The players that have the most discipline are the ones that tilt the least and therefore have a greater potential to do better than players that tilt more often, providing of course that they have the same amount of knowledge and experience.

[ QUOTE ]
Play well, if you do not play well then you are either ignorant or stupid in which case learn from your mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but but even great players can make stupid mistakes from time to time. This isn't about the player, it's about the types of mistakes all players make. Either way EVERY player should try and learn from their mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a totally superflous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

And saying you would play better if you knew what your opponent's cards wasn't exactly a revolutionary thought, but somebody wrote an entire book around it! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
That being said I am warmly welcoming OP to the forum(s)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 AM

The reason I react strongly is because your post doesn't make any attempt to give a solution (ecxept for the learn from you mistake advice which is a broad statement without any content)

Your two statements might be true, but you have zoomed so far from the issue at hand that there is no guidance to be found.

And I have a feeling that whether a mistake is stupid or ignorant sometimes can be hard to distinguis or define.

But enough said, this is the small stakes NL&PL hold'em forum and not the philosophy forum, so continuing this discussion is beyond, what is reasonable. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]