Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Re: The world\'s dumbest person...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Pot, itself, is not even addictive...and it is not a gateway drug. I smoked it regularly for more than a year, never tried anything stronger, quit cold, and had no withdrawal symptoms at all. I have not had any now for over 10 years, and I do not miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the other posters that marijuana is not a "gateway" drug in that it, in and of itself, leads to the use of other drugs. But pot, itself, can be addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

So can Doritos. And Big Macs.

Washing one's hands can be addictive.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Pot, itself, is not even addictive...and it is not a gateway drug. I smoked it regularly for more than a year, never tried anything stronger, quit cold, and had no withdrawal symptoms at all. I have not had any now for over 10 years, and I do not miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the other posters that marijuana is not a "gateway" drug in that it, in and of itself, leads to the use of other drugs. But pot, itself, can be addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. When compared with alcohol and tobacco however, it is the least addictive of the three.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. When compared with alcohol and tobacco however, it is the least addictive of the three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, and that's a good point. I made my post because of the common myth, mentioned in this thread, that pot is not addictive.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. I don't get what you're trying to say, though. That marijuana addiction is trivial or a myth? It's not healthy to become addicted to any of these things.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Why did I think...

... that this would be a thread about Sen. Patty Murray?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. I don't get what you're trying to say, though. That marijuana addiction is trivial or a myth? It's not healthy to become addicted to any of these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, And its important to note, I'm pretty sure that more people die each year from big macs (or their equivalent bad food/overeating) than every drug plus every car accident, plus every casualty of war, plus every death by violent crime combined.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything can be addictive to certain people, at least in a non-physical, psychological way. With that preface, I agree with you that pot can be addictive.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything can be addictive to certain people, at least in a non-physical, psychological way. With that preface, I agree with you that pot can be addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, true, but not just "anything" is as addictive or as harmful as pot (obviously a few are moreso).

I'll only link one website on the issue, though there are plenty of others, and I'll only quote one section from that page that has to do with addiction and physical withdrawal symptoms. The rest of the page includes many of the long-term harmful effects:

webmd

"Frequent, heavy use of marijuana can lead to needing increasing amounts of it to get the same feelings (tolerance) and possibly to dependence (addiction). If daily use is stopped, flulike withdrawal symptoms and craving for the drug can develop within 24 to 48 hours and last about 2 weeks. "

Suffice it to say that I have first-hand knowledge that the above is true. Anyway, I don't want to argue about this, I just want to lay out another viewpoint. And I don't actually judge smoking pot in a negative way, it's actually pretty damn fun at times. But when it creeps up and gets out of control, it's not fun. I'll continue a conversion for anyone interested via PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, true, but not just "anything" is as addictive or as harmful as pot (obviously a few are moreso).

I'll only link one website on the issue, though there are plenty of others, and I'll only quote one section from that page that has to do with addiction and physical withdrawal symptoms. The rest of the page includes many of the long-term harmful effects:

webmd

"Frequent, heavy use of marijuana can lead to needing increasing amounts of it to get the same feelings (tolerance) and possibly to dependence (addiction). If daily use is stopped, flulike withdrawal symptoms and craving for the drug can develop within 24 to 48 hours and last about 2 weeks. "

Suffice it to say that I have first-hand knowledge that the above is true. Anyway, I don't want to argue about this, I just want to lay out another viewpoint. And I don't actually judge smoking pot in a negative way, it's actually pretty damn fun at times. But when it creeps up and gets out of control, it's not fun. I'll continue a conversion for anyone interested via PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is arguing with you as far as I can tell. My opinion and experience with grass is simply different than yours. I agreed that it can be addictive to some people. Everyone I know, including me, who have stopped using it had no physical withdrawal symptoms. People can get flu like symptoms by changing jobs or ending relationships, etc. Since you no longer want to discuss this in this thread, I will also stop here...with no offense taken or intended. Have a nice day! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]