Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Kansas City BBQ - OOT Lead me to the promised land!

I agree with almost all of what Perfomify says, with these minor changes:

I'm not that keen on Gates. It's definitely better than Arthur Bryant's, but I'd label it "good" not "great."

At OK Joe's, I much prefer just the regular ol' pork ribs to the z-man.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:28 PM

I've actually never had their ribs, buffett - i've had a few different sandwich options but never tried the ribs. I'll give those a shot the next time I'm there.

Actually had a z-man for lunch today. It was the balls.

Edit: i'd also agree with the Gates comment. Its not the absolute best, but i'd say its "very good" and you can't beat the fact that its in walking distance (or a very very short drive) if you're downtown already.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in KC a couple of months ago and solicited bbq joint advice from a bunch of locals. the names you mentioned were brought up, but Gates' was the unanimous choice in the end. it was damned good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at a cookout this weekend where someone flew in Gate's ribs. They were fantastic.

scrub
Old 07-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Gates is a must. As is Arthur Bryants. If you have more than one person, get the sampler platter at Gates. Don't listen to anyone who says these two aren't the bomb. They clearly have defective taste buds and I suspect may not be even fully native KC-ans. They probably don't even sauce their meat until after they're done grilling it! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] (ultimate KC insult)

Stick to a beef andwich at Bryants. Bryant's sauce is very different from what you're used probably used to - very vinegary. It's an acquired taste. But once you acquire the taste - is a lot of people's favorite. Their fries rule. I used to go to school at Lincoln Academy. My Mom would get Bryant's on days when she had to pick me up. She'd get a big side of fries wrapped in pink butcher paper. By the time we got home it was completely transparent. That's good eatin!

Other great BBQ is LC's out by the stadium.

Rosedale's isn't bad, very tender ribs. Sauce is a little sweet for my taste, but many swear by it.

Jackstack is fine, more of the corporate dining experience version of BBQ though.

Danny Edwards is actually a good friend of my family's. But I wouldn't recommend it over the ones above.

If you love fried chicken you absolutely have to hit Strouds. Best I've ever had.

Other culinary highlights of KC IMO:

Imo's pizza - very different. Some hate it, I love it.

Manny's for mexican, Rudy's Tenampa Tacquiera on Westport Road is also good.

Garozzo's for italian - chicken spedini

Town Topic for a cheeseburger

Jerusalem Cafe for middle eastern

d'Bronx pizza and sandwiches rock

and finally hitting up the the Quik Trip $1 menu at 3am - which I miss more than anything about KC (although it's not $1 any more [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Edit: I just noticed you only have 2 meals. Do Gates for lunch and Strouds for dinner. Your tongue will thank you.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was in KC a couple of months ago and solicited bbq joint advice from a bunch of locals. the names you mentioned were brought up, but Gates' was the unanimous choice in the end. it was damned good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at a cookout this weekend where someone flew in Gate's ribs. They were fantastic.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Most KC expats I know pick up a few bottles of Gates sauce at the airport everytime they go back. That or have it shipped whenever they run out.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fiorella's Jack Stack is also in walking distance, and in my opinion is the overall best BBQ in kansas city

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded...also, if you are a drinker..Boulevard Wheat beer is an excelent local micro brew (their pale ale is ok but I only like it from a keg)

I think you said you like fried chicken then Strouds is the best around...Its on troost and something or other (probably too far away which is a shame)

have fun and dont judge our city just because our downtown sucks

[ QUOTE ]
Manny's for mexican

[/ QUOTE ]
did this move..i wanted to go last time I was in op but Its not where it used to be on metcalf and 151st...what gives? I was pissed that I had to settle for some crappy chain Jose Peppers or something
Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 PM

The Manny's I've always gone to is down on Southwest Blvd. But I haven't lived in KC for 10 years.

Also the Stroud's I was thinking of is the one in N. KC.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Good stuff suzzer, except your list is a little dated.
Edit: see you haven't lived here for 10 years. That explains it.

The one I'd take most immediate exception to is:
[ QUOTE ]
Margaritas for mexican

[/ QUOTE ]

Manny's is still in its original location on the Blvd, but its one of the most over-rated restaraunts in the city imo - Margaritas kicks its ass in every category, except maybe in number of hot women attending during the lunch hour.

Its no surprise that we're consistently among the nation's fattest cities. We've got some of the best fat people food. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Margaritas has been around a while right? I'm pretty sure we used to go there. Along with Ponaks, is that still around? And there was another place I can't remember, across from Manny's. The only thing I remember is they had this dish which was bacially cucumber slices covered in spices that was the hottest thing I've ever eaten.

Nowadays when I come back we just go to Rudy's since that's close to where my friends live. I love that place.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Yep. you're thinking of the right place - down near the end of the Blvd near Ponaks.