Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Re: $400/800 HU turn

[ QUOTE ]
Online, this guy won't ever fold a piece of that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 120%. I wouldn't try it because he's 3bet the turn 3 ways and check called the river with AK high before.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
7 handed. UTG+1 limps. I raise with AJo in the SB. SenorFlush from Partypoker fame 3-bets in the BB. We know eachother somewhat well and have lots of history both from internet battles and lots of hours vs eachother the past week. SenorFlush also has a nice little rivalry with the limper, and those two are going back and forth quite often. He even says outloud, "I would have called but you are in so I have to 3-bet." Limper folds, I call.

Flop T98. I check, he bets, I raise, he calls. Turn 9. I check, he bets. Can/should I checkraise here? Can he call down with 66? I feel like he has a small pocket pair here so often. If I check/call the turn is the river a check/fold barring improvement (ie T, 8, Q, 7, J, A)?

[/ QUOTE ]

how does a T or 8 improve your holding relative to his? or improve your folding equity?

you should definately check call and bet many rivers including ones that contain A/K/Q/J/7.

you've played a great deal like AK here (and AJ obviously) and check the turn realizing the pot is too big to give up w/ it b/c you know he knows etc. you're drawing live. i dont think he calls enough if a K falls on the river and you lead, just as you would with the other improving cards.

the real test is what to do on the river if he raises some of those cards. 77 is a definately possibility so betting a J may not be best. i think in fact now that it's best to check the J to avoid getting either bluffed off (by 66/55) or value raised by 77/QQ etc. so bet everything but the J.

now on the turn, you can't c'r here imo. it's just such an odd line that unless you're now known for your odd lines you'll get called down here.

further, on the off chance this plays out: if you c'r and he calls 66 on the turn and a K falls, he'll still probably call the river b/c now the pot is bigger and he's put you on a bluff of AQ/AJ/AK whereas if you check call and lead he may now fold that hand.

similarly, c'ring the turn opens you upt o a 3bet, builds the pot, and forces you to put in more bets than your situation warrants. id check call here for sure without a very strong live read that he's legitimately weak.

GL mikey!

Barron
Old 07-06-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Online, this guy won't ever fold a piece of that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 120%. I wouldn't try it because he's 3bet the turn 3 ways and check called the river with AK high before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible that we shouldn't try and make a play at this pot at all? No flop check-raise, no turn check-raise, no weird donkbets anywhere? That was my first instinct when reading the hand.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM

yeah, nothing wrong with c/c, c/c, c/c (or even c/f river)
Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does a T or 8 improve your holding relative to his? or improve your folding equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Board is T989. A river Ten or 8 puts Schneids in the lead if, as he suspects, Senor has a small pp. Schneids of course also ties if Senor has AK, AQ. So, a ten or an 8 is a pretty good card for Schneids.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 PM

im assuming limper is paul, how was senor flush playing?

i dont really see him 3-betting a small pair preflop here unless hes letting paul get to him again, and since i think he was fairly rested yesterday, i would think he would maintain his composure, i dont think he sees paul folding to the 3-bet very often, so he would probably rather not bloat the pot since its unlikely to get heads up, i could be wrong here, but i think his preflop play represents some strength

im pretty sure id just check/call the flop and turn, while you might fold out a small pair by making a move, i think he has a big ace or pair more often and will likely look you up with this board if none of the draws come in

as far as the river, what does he 3-bet that you beat?

KQ maybe?

does he bet the river with it?

i think its a fold if hes playing well
Old 07-06-2006, 06:53 PM

reason for check-raise on the flop is?

How about coming out betting the flop?

How about check/callign and then beting the turn?

Since you decided to check-raise the flop, why not bet the turn?

This whole hand confuses me, I wouldn't play it like that at all.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't think the hands we want to fold out will bet the turn?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 PM

Sometimes on a hand like this I'll skip the flop and turn and play only the river, which I start on before the flop. One player limps, I raise from the SB with a big ace, and the big blind makes it three bets. As soon as the limper folds, I start playing the river, in the hope that by the time we get to the end, I'll know what to do. So the flop goes check-bet-call. The turn goes either check-bet-call, or check-check. Sometimes that much is scripted from the moment the limper folds. While all that is going on, I'm paying attention, especially at the moment I call the turn, so that when the river comes, I'll be ready to bet or checkfold or checkcall or checkraise, as seems appropriate at the time, with no thinking or planning or reflecting, ideally.

Tommy
Old 07-06-2006, 09:55 PM

Sometimes it seems like you play poetry, not poker. which is really cool.