Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Re: The WSOP cards are marked.

from cardplayer coverage of the omaha split event

Tue Jul 04 16:57:00 PDT 2006
New Decks
Andy Bloch just asked the floor if they could get 3 new decks for the 3 remaining tables. The floor has just announced thanks to Bloch the tables now are playing with new decks.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:33 AM

They should get brand new cards for the ME atleast [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 AM

I guess the best thing to do is if you see a card that's marked, demand a new deck.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the best thing to do is if you see a card that's marked, note which card it is, and play on

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 AM

With all the people who don't know how to play the split pot events, it is really hard for me to understand why someone would have to cheat....
I guess any edge......
I just cannot fathom it, sounds like the "old" days of the cash games at the WSOP, only this time, the floor and the dealers are either too green or busy to do anything about it, watch your ass, especially in the Lowball games (cheaters heaven)
Old 07-05-2006, 08:42 PM

This is a problem not just with the Copag WSOP cards, but with all Copag cards

(Damn straight I bolded that.)

I have a couple of set-ups of Copag and the material composition is different than that of a Kem or Gemaco or A-Plus card - Copag cards are rather flimsy and are VERY easy to mark just by accident, particularly if you squeeze hard when looking at your hole cards. You'll notice on a lot of marked Copag cards (actually, the 4s through 10s) that on the face side there's usually a white line going through one of the pips.

Here's an example:

The cards sold for home use have predominantly solid colored backs w/design, making it hard to locate the marking from that perspective.

However, the WSOP Copag cards have predominantly white backs (similar to how last year's cards looked), which would and should make the markings much easier to spot.

Really, there's a reason the Copags sell for cheap in retail - they're [censored].
Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 PM

Unfortunately, my game is not good enough to spend energy looking for marked cards. As it is, it is difficult enough to watch all of the other players, pay attention to the play of the hand and process/think about my observations between hands. When some of these things become more automatic for me, then I may shift my attention to looking for marks on cards.

So, here's my question:

Is there any specific way that anyone would recommend that I can protect my cards to prevent others from seeing any marks on them. Keep in mind any proposed method must expose the cards enough, so that no one can reasonably object that you are "hiding" you hand and they can't see if you have cards or have folded.

I realize that preventing people from seeing the marks on my cards only solves part of the problem, but it is something that I can easily add to my game.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM

people who mark cards watch the cards as they are flung from the dealer's hand. The best defense is really to just watch all the cards and point out when you see a bad one.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people who mark cards watch the cards as they are flung from the dealer's hand. The best defense is really to just watch all the cards and point out when you see a bad one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That method doesn't work well in a lowball game (keep in mind the low cards seem to be marked), but its a valid method when looking for aces. I'm interested to see how this affects my game since I'll be playing lots of lowball.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 AM

If I notice someone seems to have marked a card during a hand, when should I alert a floorperson accusing them of cheating?
Closed Thread