Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Miscellaneous Life Skills

[ QUOTE ]
English composition.

The ability to avoid getting into fights.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Both good, the first is one of the more academic.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:46 PM

Let me be the first to suggest: "You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Shotgun is not as self explanatory as you think, although for defense it is easier to hit somewhere in the vicinity than with others. Shotgun is a good skill like golf, because being able to shoot in the field could come in handy in some social situations. Aside from defense and just putting buckshot on a target at close range, wingshooting is a good hand-eye skill and requires some self discipline and body awareness. Just a good thing to learn IMO. Miscellaneous, but good. I am not a good shot with a shotgun but have done a little of it. I may do some more in the future or may not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I am disagreeing that this may be true in your neck of the woods, I'd be hard pressed to find a social setting where lacking shotgun skills would put a dent in my social agenda. (Unless we are out hunting Cheney's pals) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are the ones I don't understand.

Stick shift. - Automatic transmissions are so common. What's the point? I'll admit I can't drive a manual, and wish I could, so I can see your point in teaching him that. If you're like me, the bi-annual occurence of being called on to drive a stick isn't a big enough deal to merit spending the time to figure it out. I get laughed at, but that's no biggie.

The guns - From a self-defense perspective, they're pretty self-explanatory, like Dom said. What else is there?

Skiing - Snow or water? Either way, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick shift is just convenient and helpful, like when the rental truck place runs out of automatics as has happened to me. or when a drunk has a stick shift, or you get a chance to drive a performance car. Miscellaneous, yes, but I think a good skill.

As I responded to Dom, safety, plus the different guns require different skills. I think there is some good from learning disparate skills. I put some of it in the post below. I think learnign the different skills that sometimes contradict each other is OK. You learn about learning and have the skill. For instance, I think learning golf helped me shoot a pistol in some ways. I think learning how to point shoot a pistol will help me in other odd skills. Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt and is miscellaneous.

Skiing: I think just a good sport to be exposed to. I wasn't even though we lived in a good region for it, didn't try it until I was maybe 18, although I tried cross country skiing earlier. I think learning as a kid would teach some balance and body control skills, and if enjoyed provides a sport you can do for life when the weather sucks for golf. One of those sports like golf that is good to know I think. More miscellaneous than others I guess, but why not. I was thinking more of snow not water, but Isuppose water is fine. As long as it isn't on a canal dragged by a pickup as some may have done around here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5. Pistol.

6. Shotgun.

7. Rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I need to know all 3? I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a gun, save for on a policeman or in a store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all three are good, sometimes for different reasons. Being able to handle any of them safely is good for safety's sake IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not as safe as not picking them up in the first place
Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Finance is a little more academic, but good. Sewing is good, I wish I could just sew a button on. Computer skills would be good. Thought about the flying a little. That is a hard one to dabble in. I doubt I could land a small plane right now, although I have done it and get the theory behind it. To actually do it right now I don't think so...

Plumbing, electrical, etc... I wish I knew more.

Emergency medical stuff is good.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5. Pistol.

6. Shotgun.

7. Rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I need to know all 3? I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a gun, save for on a policeman or in a store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all three are good, sometimes for different reasons. Being able to handle any of them safely is good for safety's sake IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 PM

I may be showing my age, and this may be subsumed by #10, but he should learn to sharpen with both a stone and a steel.

He should be able to carve a turkey.

He should be able to dance.

I think my favorite is chopstick's #16 Critical thinking / Problem solving skills

He should learn to question everything.

And, lest we forget the overly mundane, he should learn to change a flat tire.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:06 AM

I can't believe music and cards haven't made it on the list yet. Public speaking is important as well, have him do some theater or something to build self confidence in front of people. Personally, I always wished I could dance better...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5. Pistol.

6. Shotgun.

7. Rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly disagree with this. Knowing how properly handle a firearm is a skill everyone especially children should know. Learning how to properly handle a firearm would save many parents a lot of heartache. Telling children not to touch guns is about as effective as the "Just Say No" campgain for drugs.