Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: NOTICE TO JANBENNETT

[ QUOTE ]
So you yell at fish in order to get them to stop being fish when you get on the wrong side of variance?

Does this make any logical sesnse whatsoever? Do you think that somehow you're going to make more money from better players than bad ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG are you serious? Please note that my post should have been read with a tone of sarcasm (which I THOUGHT would've been obvious.) Please read my quotepost directly above.

(shaking head in disbelief)

ja
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think it's so fun to go somewhere where someone's handing out 20s to everyone in the room. I'll take as many as the person will give me, but when I accidentally drop a handful and the guy who gave them to me picks them up, I'll yell at him because I don't want him handing out 20s anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you yell at fish in order to get them to stop being fish when you get on the wrong side of variance?

Does this make any logical sesnse whatsoever? Do you think that somehow you're going to make more money from better players than bad ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm detector?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 AM

Oh, ok. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sarcasm now detected.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 AM

I've been wanting to post something like this since for a bit now. Its not specifically pointed at any one individual though, so I just kept it in.

I am CONSTANTLY amazed at the dick waving / taunting / berating / belittling comments that go on at a table. I don't think its 2+2ers for the most part, though I'm sure sometimes they are. But it is just a constant source of wonderment to me.

I have on occasion tried to redirect the ire of the idiot at me by interjecting, but that rarely works. I usually give up and tell the fiend "you just don't get it" and then put them on mute so that it doesn't tilt me.

If anyone has suggestions for how to help someone reconsider their berating ways at the table please post for all to see.

~FishNChips
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone has suggestions for how to help someone reconsider their berating ways at the table please post for all to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not one magical solution, because the anonymity of being online is so protective. You simply would not see this type of behavior in a live game -- or if you would, you would quickly see it rectified in one of a variety of manners.

I generally say nothing, as I do not want to draw any attention to myself if I'm going to be continually stalking a marked player. But occasionally I will interject and defend the fish, and hammer at the antagonist -- it often serves to take the focus off the fish's poor play, and re-directs the spotlight at me. I can take it.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have on occasion tried to redirect the ire of the idiot at me by interjecting, but that rarely works. I usually give up and tell the fiend "you just don't get it" and then put them on mute so that it doesn't tilt me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm usually pretty successful at redirecting berators.

Standard starting lines are "The way you two flirt is just embarrassing", "Are you trying to pick him up?", "Come on guys, get a hotel room". (If anyone has some non-homoerotic starters, I'm all ears; these just seem to work.)

Then as soon as I get a direct remark out of Mr. Obnoxious, I pepper him with complete inanities: "I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel"; "Wait, let me get a pencil", "And his all-girl orchestra", etc.

It takes a little effort, but eventually he forgets the fish, and the side benefit is the fish is usually very entertained by the exchange.

The direct approach NEVER works with these guys, they're just looking for a fight to begin with.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"And his all-girl orchestra"

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful. Consider it thefted.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"And his all-girl orchestra"

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful. Consider it thefted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-23-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm usually pretty successful at redirecting berators.

Standard starting lines are "The way you two flirt is just embarrassing", "Are you trying to pick him up?", "Come on guys, get a hotel room". (If anyone has some non-homoerotic starters, I'm all ears; these just seem to work.)

Then as soon as I get a direct remark out of Mr. Obnoxious, I pepper him with complete inanities: "I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel"; "Wait, let me get a pencil", "And his all-girl orchestra", etc.

It takes a little effort, but eventually he forgets the fish, and the side benefit is the fish is usually very entertained by the exchange.

The direct approach NEVER works with these guys, they're just looking for a fight to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

genius!

I play on a site where I use a screen name that leads many to believe that I'm a female and I generally don't correct those that make the assumption (which leads to some craziness on its own). My response from that screen name when an argument breaks out is "I've got my ruler if you guys wanna whip 'em out, I'll measure" or some such thing. Its moderately successful, and I generally get propositioned in some way shortly thereafter. Us boys is pigs!

~FishNChips
Old 06-23-2006, 11:45 AM

One of the worst redirects I have seen tried was "You really think yer TPTK was any good there, donk?"

Man, redirect away from the suckout, don't give antagonist a reason to keep harpin'.