Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Bustout Hand - PP Super Tues

[ QUOTE ]
Your stack wasnt short or crippled so you can still "play to win" by folding the hand believe it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also a good piece of wisdom that opened my mind a little. "Playing to win" doesn't always mean that you just shove chips in people's faces.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Re: PP Super Tuesday

[ QUOTE ]
You got your money in with the best hand, which is about all you can hope for most of the time. Being successful in MTTs is about making decisions that will be profitable in the long run, and I know it's hard to look at things that way when you only play two tournaments per month.

Edit: I don't think the play is horrible. If there were three overcards of different rankings, then it might be a bad play, but it's unlikely he has a queen or a higher pair, so if you get called, you're most likely up against a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the opponent had is irrelevant, what is important is his range of hands, your fold equity, your stack size, etc.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: PP Super Tuesday

The only hands that you're way behind are straight-flush draws and hands with a jack or queen. The chip leader will fold most of the time with any other hands and make calls sometimes with average draws like this. So you're risking your 7544 to win 3250 on the flop. So then lets consider his hand range. I think that we can eliminate JJ-AA and AK here. So then what hands that call our raise in this spot have us dominated?

Likely:

AQ, AJ

Unlikely:

KQ, KJ, Qx, Jx, 10h-9h, 10h-Kh

Even when we're up against straight flush draws, we're still better than 1:2. I don't know the exact math, but I that the push was a pretty good play, especially since the villain bet less than half the pot when checked to.