Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 3 vs. 22
Saving Private Ryan 130 94.89%
1941 7 5.11%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: ***Official United States vs Ghana Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMG i have so much to do at work tomorrow this is unfair [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

i'm never gonna be able to watch. and i bet the stupid Sopcast is gonna be showing the goddamn Italy-Czech game. Maybe I can bring in a little TV with some rabbit ears. It's on ABC right?

[/ QUOTE ]

espn.

you guys need Orb.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. today at work i had TVU player open and was switching back and forth between games. there an espn and espn2, as well as foreign stations.

rj
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
You all need to move to the west coast. The game will be over before my normal time for leaving to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish i didnt start work at 8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. i always have to leave a few minutes before halftime, get here and start watching the second half, which is usually over before my boss arrives.

rj
Old 06-21-2006, 06:21 PM

USA 1
Ghana 0

USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 PM

The only reason I am rooting against the USA is because I'm really sick of hearing the announcers tease the upcoming USA games 900 times during every other match of the World Cup.

Also, the ridiculously large graphics that they'll pop up over the important part of the game to show "USA NEXT MATCH 9AM EST" over and over.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I am rooting against the USA is because I'm really sick of hearing the announcers tease the upcoming USA games 900 times during every other match of the World Cup.

Also, the ridiculously large graphics that they'll pop up over the important part of the game to show "USA NEXT MATCH 9AM EST" over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too surprised by what they're doing or your reaction. My reaction is similar but less extreme.

I'll add that the main advertisement focuses on the referee with an obviously ridiculously biased announcer saying the ref made a bad call when most neutral fans think the sending off was just and the ref was ok or even pro US.

I personally think that ABC/ESPN have been gambling on the US from the beginning and by pushing their coverage to be so much about the US they're a bit screwed. If they had pushed the game in general they would have had a much better chance at getting the casual fan interested once the US was out, which was very likely to be at the end of the group stage given the draw and order of matches. edited to add: Given how US-centric the media is here I'm not surprised that they focus on the US it's just that it's all the time. When watching other group matches for example, they don't really need to say anything about the situation facing the US.

As far as this game goes, I think the US is on shaky ground. Ghana is a frightening team to play at this point and will be rather different from the European sides. Italy adjusted eventually but the Czech Republic got pummeled. If the US can adjust then they have a chance but the Americans have to score to go through and are one of the weakest teams in the tournament at scoring and creating chances.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I am rooting against the USA is

[/ QUOTE ]

.....you suck?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 PM

I wouldnt shed a tear if the US were to lose. It means a hell of a lot more to them than it does to us.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt shed a tear if the US were to lose. It means a hell of a lot more to them than it does to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 PM

I'll be rooting for the US. Gotta be good for world footie to keep US interest high.