Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Trip Report: I Hit A Deer

Once when I was in college I went aroudn this curve and there were deer as far as I could see. I hit the herd, 3 deer were dead and both sides, the front, top, and bottom of my car were smashed. No Pics [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2006, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why was your cruise at 82 when the speed limit on that stretch is 70? You should have had it set at 84.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-21-2006, 04:38 AM

When I'm about to make a road trip from Los Angeles to Northern Louisiana, this is NOT the post I need to be reading...
Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What time of night did this happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually happened in the afternoon at 2:45pm

[ QUOTE ]

Also, why was your cruise at 82 when the speed limit on that stretch is 70? You wanna ticket or somethin'? It's not like Iowa cops have anything better to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always have my radar detector on and I drive this stretch often so I know where they like to sit, no speeding tickets so far for me

Normally from around the 4 mile marker (in Iowa) and south into Missouri on I-35 you are pretty safe from getting radared, I havent seen a cop on the roads in Missouri in the last year (10+ trips) - its just boring and flat, I also try to do a good job of getting behind a group of cars that pass me doing 85-90 as cops have a hard time getting a clear speed reading on big groups of cars, about two months ago I went 90 mph for a 170 mile stretch of I-35, they dont do any creative speed traps (mainly just sit n wait type ones) so its pretty easy to avoid with radar, now once you get off the main I-35 and I-80 in Iowa, watch out, thats when they will get ya as every small town cop is looking to make a score
Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM

I hit a deer about a year and a half ago. Similar circumstances as the OP described -- it was standing on the side of the road and suddenly decided to jump in front of my car. When I got out of the car to inspect the damage, I expected the deer to be lying dead in the ditch. However, it was nowhere to be seen. $3000 damage to my car.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:07 PM

Glad you were OK. Sucks hitting a deer with a vehicle. It still amazes me how much damage it can cause.

I haven't ever hit a deer but have had close calls many times. I did, however, hit a COW about 4 years ago with my pickup and that was not fun at all. Was coming back from an evening bowhunting and it was dark, the cow was black and right in the middle of the road. Hit her square, broadside and knocked her right off of her feet. Her eyes got really big right before I hit her! Thank goodness I was only going like 35 MPH or so and had a really heavy brushguard on the front of the pickup. I dug the flashlight out and went to look and see what happened to her and she was nowhere to be found. I was only about 10 miles from home so I wanted to get back before the radiator ran out of fluid and made it home. Found out later that the cow was OK!

Funny law in here in Montana, it is 100% illegal to take a road killed deer to eat. So, any deer hit just goes to waste. Pretty much a shame if you ask me.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM

Fish -

In Montana you are expected and encouraged to take road kill deer to the local food bank.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:49 PM

This is not correct.

This is a quote right from the Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks website

[ QUOTE ]
If you do hit a deer, elk or other big game animal, remember that it is against the law to possess or transport the animal, or any portion of the animal, including the antlers.

For help, and to report the collision, call the city police, county sheriff’s office, or the Montana Highway Patrol at XXX-XXX-XXXX. If the animal is seriously injured but still alive, ask that a law enforcement officer or game warden be sent to dispatch the animal and safely remove it from the road. Do not attempt to tend to an injured wild animal as they can be very dangerous and unpredictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of MANY instances where deer have been hit and are close to the accident and injured, suffering and in pain and they have to stay that way until a cop or FWP warden bothers to show up. It is not right for an animal to have to suffer longer than it has to and it is wrong to just let it go to waste as well. But that is the law here!