Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Teen, Mom sue MySpace.com for $30 million

[ QUOTE ]
She was an idiot!

[/ QUOTE ]

No "?" about it, obviously. God bless America, where you can always find someone to sue because you're a [censored].

They better not make a penny off of this. Sucks that such a terrible thing happened, but no court in this country would find MySpace at all liable.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:38 PM

I liked the part where myspace basically called them retards.

"We take aggressive measures to protect our members. We encourage everyone on the Internet to engage in smart web practices and have open family dialogue about how to apply offline lessons in the online world ."
Old 06-20-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I would agree that Myspace should do more to verify the ages of its members, there will always be underage people on that site.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I disagree. I don't think that they should, because if they do then 14 and 15 year olds won't have any place to hang out with other teens. This doesn't mean that I condone sexual assault which can happen when you have lax policies like those of Myspace, but parents have to be the ones to monitor their children's internet usage and warn them about predators- warn them not to give out personal info to people that they don't know and not to talk to creepy people.

i can see why this girl lied about her age to make her profile more accessible and i probably would have done the same thing, but suing myspace is beyong irresponsible. myspace is one of the best sites out there for teenagers as well as people of all ages.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She was an idiot!

[/ QUOTE ]

No "?" about it, obviously. God bless America, where you can always find someone to sue because you're a [censored].

They better not make a penny off of this. Sucks that such a terrible thing happened, but no court in this country would find MySpace at all liable.

[/ QUOTE ]

We should institute a "Loser pays" system like that of Britain's where the filer of a frivolous lawsuit has to pay the legal costs of the defense. In this case it could be at least 15k. This would cut down on lawsuits like this, which are even more ridiculous than the McDonald's obesity ones imo, which is pretty impressive. I would love to see this girl and her mother have to pay that. They might have to move to a smaller trailer but I think they could manage.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM

This just reminds me of the people who blame violence on video games or movies. Old Newsflash: If parents watched out for their kids and actually had healthy relationships with them, this wouldn't be a problem. You can blame Doom3 because the kid played it 8 hours a day..or you could blame the parents for turning a console system into a babysitter...

Go Myspace on this one.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM

Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 PM

I think you have to be 18 to be on Myspace, can someone verify?

[ QUOTE ]
but suing myspace is beyong irresponsible.

[/ QUOTE ] of course it is.

The reason Myspace should be more aggresive about verifying ages is so that retarded lawsuits like this don't happen. They will most likely win this lawsuit, but if they don't do something to fix it now, they will only get more. It would be smart legally to cover their asses with more stringent age verification policies.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:46 PM

Crap like this is why I fornicating hate people.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to be 18 to be on Myspace, can someone verify?

[ QUOTE ]
but suing myspace is beyong irresponsible.

[/ QUOTE ] of course it is.

The reason Myspace should be more aggresive about verifying ages is so that retarded lawsuits like this don't happen. They will most likely win this lawsuit, but if they don't do something to fix it now, they will only get more. It would be smart legally to cover their asses with more stringent age verification policies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it would but that's a shame that they have to do it- I'm sure you agree. This is why we need a losers pay system because if the girl's family had to pay MySpace's defense costs when this suit gets thrown out(and it will), then you wouldn't see any more lawsuits like it. Don't you agree?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:58 PM

I have never heard of the losers pay system, it sounds interesting though. I guess its a shame that they have to do it, but wouldn't it have been better to do it from the start? NOTE: I do not blame their current system for any of this.