FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: two pair on an all rag boaord

matt can you please explain why?

thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 PM

Such linear thought.

I can't give you any fixed rules as to what makes a rag board or not. All I can say is that if the flop is likely to have either made someone's hand or given someone a draw that they will want to pursue, then the board is not rags. An interesting conclusion of this is the same board may be either rags or not depending on the opponents. It probably also depends on the number of opponents.

For example, in the board in question. If there were 8 opponents, there are probably multiple draws and multiple made hands out already. But if you're heads-up, the chances of either draws or made hands being out go way down.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how is 632 not an all rag board...

anyway he limped MP so i cant really put him on a better 2 pair, 22 or 33 is very unlikeily since i have 23 and 66 is a definate hand he could have but i think its much more likely he has 77-TT and in that case i WANT to get all the money in on the flop, rather then let an ace hit that scares him off

also if he has the flush draw he isn;t likely to raise as players at this stake dont play draws like that, and even if he does have a draw i WANT to get all in on the flop as opposed to letting him draw and then he can fold or bet if he hits it or not

[/ QUOTE ]

The board isnt ragged b/c it has connectivity to it. Obviously there was the straight draw. there is also the flush draw. So it isnt a ragged board. A ragged board would be something like k 2 8 rainbow where there are no immediate draws.

Your handrange for the villian is also very limited and not close to what yuo should actually expect. The range you put him on will very likely be raising preflop. So we can eliminate all face pairs, and almost always 10s-9s. 7s-8s could be a possibility but it is unlikely that they are giong to overplay their hand this bad.

You seemed to want to put him on an overpair but the problem is that scenerio just doesnt fit how the hand was played
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM

I always used to get stacked w/ bottom 2pair, playing them like the nuts. So now I proceed cautiously w/ bottom two with this type of flop.

More than likely, you're going to only get called w/ a better hand than yours most of the time. I think you were lucky you even had some outs in this hand after he called.

Oh, and unless they're total donks, you're not getting called here enough w/ 77-TT to make this allin correct.

Anybody that's limping these from MP3 is probably playing it for set value, and has to know you probably might have hit on this type of flop from the BB. This would make it a pretty easy fold to your all in.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:50 PM

lol for some reason i always thought rags meant low cards
Old 06-19-2006, 02:51 PM

i think ud agree that a hands like k2, j2, and q5 are all rags
Old 06-19-2006, 02:56 PM

Wizzy, here's a good, clean definition (the term is used in a couple ways)...

[ QUOTE ]
Rag - Rags - Ragged:
Low, unimportant or uncoordinated cards, normally on a community card board but also applied to hands like "Ace-Rag", meaning an Ace and an unsuited low card like a six

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.playwinningpoker.com/poker/terms/rag.html
Old 06-19-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wizzy, here's a good, clean definition (the term is used in a couple ways)...

[ QUOTE ]
Rag - Rags - Ragged:
Low, unimportant or uncoordinated cards, normally on a community card board but also applied to hands like "Ace-Rag", meaning an Ace and an unsuited low card like a six

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.playwinningpoker.com/poker/terms/rag.html

[/ QUOTE ]

ty
Old 06-19-2006, 03:13 PM

What are you basing your read on?

What about sets, better two pairs, straights and draws?

With no action preflop, you can't really assume two much about your opponents' hand.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:22 PM

The board is not rags. There's a diamond draw and straight draws.

The villian's flop re-raise shows a lot of strength. AA-66 are definitely possibilities as well as 45s (pre-flop: MP3 limps after two other limpers).

It is also hard for me to believe villians when they show strength especially when I have a good hand.