Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Party $6: I flopped a set. Now what?

When pondering the question at the bottom, don't forget to consider my squeaky tight image and the relatively small size of the preflop pot.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t60 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t6344)
CO (t1390)
Button (t3460)
SB (t2690)
Hero (t1850)
UTG (t1546)
MP1 (t2720)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t120, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t60.

Flop: (t390) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t125</font>, MP2 calls t125, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>

First time preflop raiser had made a raise. I hadn't played a hand to this point.

I just called preflop fearing a big pair or a flip with AK.

I flopped the nuts and I decided to c/r. I thought that c/r-ing could trap a bet from the other caller and that the original raiser might want to go broke if he had AA or KK. I c/r-ed so big to shut a possible flush draw.

I'm not going to say whether or not I doubled up. In retrospect, I think that in the long run, it'll be easier to double all the way up by leading for about 60% of the pot. The downside of leading is that both other people may fold and trapping a c-bet might be lost. The upside is that AA and KK probably won't be able to avoid going broke.

Tell me how you'd play this hand.