Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: US - Italy World Cup Soccer - one of the games of our time

Cultural impact? No.

Great performance? Yes.

Best US showing in recent World Cup game? No. IMO the Portugal game in 2002 takes this prize.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this in OOT because I think the game has more of a cultural impact than only simple sports impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cultural impact? Bwahahahaha. For something to have cultural impact, a significant portion of the population needs to care about the event. Not the case here.

For your info, the ref was from Uruguay. Uruguay is in South America, not Europe.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:31 PM

Also as far as the world impact goes, maybe if it was Iran, but this is Italy its not like theres lot of political tension there and as much as Europeans might hate us they still like us more than just about any other country.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:17 PM

well done America, you played a game of football against world class opposition and didn't lose. I'm not sure if this really marks a turning point in world sporting history, but hey, only time will tell.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:27 PM

Its hard not to lose when the other team scores twice and you don't score at all buy somehow the USA did it and tied the game.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 PM

If we had scored in the waning minutes of the game then this match might have been talked about in "Miracle on Ice" terms.

However, we didn't.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we had scored in the waning minutes of the game then this match might have been talked about in "Miracle on Ice" terms.

However, we didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP agrees
Old 06-17-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And it is soccer. Who gives a flying [censored]???

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone but America, it seems.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, we didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP agrees

[/ QUOTE ]

No way.

Firstly, the US national soccer team outdid the miracle on ice in the 1950 World Cup win over England 1-0. As is famously noted, an English paper got the score and assumed they forgot to put the 1 in front and listed the score as US 1 - 10 England.

The miracle on ice game itself was only so big because the US went on to win the gold medal. Even if the US had won that match it would have been extremely difficult to qualify for the next stage. No way would a win over Italy be talked about like the miracle on ice when the US is bounced from the competition on its next match.

I think you have both rather drastically overstated the importance of the match. Historically, it is not nearly as big as the win over Portugal in 2002 or Colombia in 1994. Both those teams were trendy picks to win the World Cup that year (I believe Pele had picked each of them). Also, it wasn't that big of an upset anyway. I'm way lower on the US than most people here and I would have said Italy had about a 50% chance to win, the US had about a 10-20% chance to win and the draw the remaining 30-40%.

It was a draw. Americans don't care about a draw. The draw doesn't exist in American sports (ok in football it can happen and has happened once or twice time in my lifetime). Italy aren't nearly as good as they have been in the past. In no way is this result historical.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Can I just point out that the British fan base was overwelmingly in support of the Americans. The French hate the Italians. The Germans hate the Italiians, The Poles hate the Italians, The Austrians hate the Italians.

No one bought the ref, as most independent reports state the decisions were at the very worst marginally wrong but most agree that they were fair.

Don't dress up what was a very good performance/result by the US with this 'the refs hate us' crap.