Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Missing

I understand the difficulty of putting the ball on goal with pace and accuracy, but why not sacrifice one of the two in order to put the ball on frame? Hockey players are told to "dump the puck on goal" just in case something crazy happens. Why not soccer players? You'd rather make the keeper do some work than just turn his head and ask the ball boy for another ball.

USA SOG vs. Italy: 0
Old 06-18-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the difficulty of putting the ball on goal with pace and accuracy, but why not sacrifice one of the two in order to put the ball on frame? Hockey players are told to "dump the puck on goal" just in case something crazy happens. Why not soccer players? You'd rather make the keeper do some work than just turn his head and ask the ball boy for another ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

In hockey, most of the saves are made with the pads, thus resulting in a rebound and a potential scoring opportunity. Also, the puck is very small, and there's usually traffic very close to the goalie, so there's a greater opportuity for deflection goals. It makes sense to be more concerned with just getting the shot on goal.

In soccer, the vast majority of the saves a keeper makes will be with his hands, and will not result in a rebound. Also, the shots are coming from further out, and the attackers are also further out, so even if there is a small rebound, the goalie is by far more likely to grab the rebound.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, the US got a couple decent shots off that just missed, namely the one just above the goal bar. I don't know what game you were watching.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:46 PM

Get a clue
Old 06-18-2006, 11:28 PM

I am not talking about situations where they miss by a foot or two. I'm talking about when they miss by 20 feet. I understand that to shoot hard enough to score, you need to shoot hard, and you will miss sometimes. But when you do miss, it should be by like 2 or maybe 3 feet, not 20 feet.

On a corner served into the 6 yard box, there is no reason for an offence player to EVER miss (unless you hit the post which gives a rebound chance), but I always see players put the ball 10 feet over the gaol. That's ridiculous.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not talking about situations where they miss by a foot or two. I'm talking about when they miss by 20 feet. I understand that to shoot hard enough to score, you need to shoot hard, and you will miss sometimes. But when you do miss, it should be by like 2 or maybe 3 feet, not 20 feet.

On a corner served into the 6 yard box, there is no reason for an offence player to EVER miss (unless you hit the post which gives a rebound chance), but I always see players put the ball 10 feet over the gaol. That's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, have you ever played soccer? To score, you have to hit the ball hard enough to get past the keeper. If you don't hit the ball directly in the center, it will not go straight. Since most balls are going pretty quickly with a decent amount of spin, it is difficult to hit them precisely in the center. So, much of the time you'll hit below the ball or to the side of the ball, and that will cause it to go flying, much like when a golf club gets under a golf ball. Jesus, there's tons of money to be made in soccer, if it were easy to hit the ball well, someone would have figured it out already.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:56 AM

Other posters covered alot of the points of why it's so hard to get a good shot on goal but dont forget that alot of the time these players are out of balance because of all the pressure the defenders put on them.

It's also impossible to keep the ball on the ground and kick it very hard, so they have to kick it high and if it bounces on someone's head or shoulder it will go out.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, have you ever played soccer? To score, you have to hit the ball hard enough to get past the keeper. If you don't hit the ball directly in the center, it will not go straight. Since most balls are going pretty quickly with a decent amount of spin, it is difficult to hit them precisely in the center. So, much of the time you'll hit below the ball or to the side of the ball, and that will cause it to go flying, much like when a golf club gets under a golf ball. Jesus, there's tons of money to be made in soccer, if it were easy to hit the ball well, someone would have figured it out already.

[/ QUOTE ]

ask the OP how many PKs are missed by 20 feet.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you're English (Crouch, Beckham) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is absoultly no excuse for ever missing a PK. If the golie gets to it, that happens, but missing is completly unacceeptable.