Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Beyonce gets pwned

PETA favors animals' rights over basic human decency. They might be geniuses, but they are still scum.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Also, if PETA is so intelligent and doing such a greeaat job, most people wouldn't hate them. I mean, it's like they're turing animal rights into a bad thing.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:04 PM

lmao [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2006, 04:08 PM

PETA does a great job of getting publicy, and a better job of marginalizing the point they're attempting to make by removing any reason what so ever from the conversation.

I feel the same way about Michael Moore and I'm a liberal.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Penn & Teller's episode of [censored]! showed what scum PETA truly is.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PETA does a great job of getting publicy, and a better job of marginalizing the point they're attempting to make by removing any reason what so ever from the conversation.

I feel the same way about Michael Moore and I'm a liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is hard to say but its true... PETA is 10x worse for their cause than Michael Moore ever could be for the liberal agenda.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Penn & Teller's episode of [censored]! showed what scum PETA truly is.

[/ QUOTE ]

futurama takes a few stabs at themt oo.

details re: penn and telelr?

Barron
Old 06-17-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peta is awesome. Any other group that tries to get publicity for their cause is smart enough to come up with a stunt that gets attention maybe once or twice and then everyone stops noticing them. These guys have consistently been generating headlines and discussion for years. They are geniuses. You can tell how effective they are by the fact that whenever they come up in a disussion, meat eaters get super defensive and angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

If PETA's end goal is to get publicity then they do succeed. If their goal is to influence policy, they fail miserably.

Money talks in DC and the NRA raises almost 7 times as much money as PETA. More importantly, love it or hate it, they win the policy battle. They continue to successfully fight for the hunter's right to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel, and the electric eel.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
details re: penn and telelr?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's the video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99390200944075
Old 06-17-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If PETA's end goal is to get publicity then they do succeed. If their goal is to influence policy, they fail miserably.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should have phrased my post differently. I think that they are geniuses at generating publicity. Manipulating the media is a topic that is very interesting to me and I am very impressed with how good they are at it. I'm not sure whether or not they are good at parlaying that publicity into policy changes. Since I don't support Peta's views, that doesn't really bother me. I do believe in some amount of animal rights, but they go way too far. It's similar to how I feel about the Libertarian Party. In principal, I like some amount of restrictions on animal cruelty and I like the government staying out of people's personal business more than they do now (I know that these two will sometimes conflict). However, I don't support the LP who wants people to be able to own missile launchers for personal use and entirely abolish public schools and I don't support Peta who thinks I am evil because I own a cat and sometimes eat fish, dairy, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Money talks in DC and the NRA raises almost 7 times as much money as PETA. More importantly, love it or hate it, they win the policy battle.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really a fair comparison. There are a lot more people in the US who support gun rights than animal rights without the NRA or PETA in the picture. When you are pushing for policies that tons of people already support, of course you are going to have an easier time. It doesn't mean that you are more skillful at manipulating policy.

Also, I'm not sure why you think that their entire goal is to bring about some sort of legal changes in the US. For example (from the wikipedia article): 'In the same year, they launched the Compassion Campaign to fight cosmetics and personal-care product testing on animals. By 1989, PETA had persuaded nearly 500 companies, including Mary Kay and Amway, to go "cruelty-free."' Because this didn't involve a governmental policy change, it wasn't a victory for them? Stuff that happens outside the US doesn't count either?