Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: .50/1 AKs MP3 river

Goad, if you look through the faq and the poker wiki there's lots of good stuff. Here is a specific link to Loyalguard's popular compilation on playing overcards.

Loyalguard's Overcard Compilation

Also if you own SSHE by Miller et al you should review the section on overcards.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:32 PM

THanks OrigamiSensei, I'll have a look.

<big incoherent ramble follows [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]>

I have read the SSHE Overcards section about 3 times, and I've been experimenting with playing overcards somewhat aggressively, but so far I've mostly just lost money on them.

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I wonder...I'm only at about 14K hands but it seems more and more to me (in 6 max at least) that I do much better in sessions where I'm just mucking everything that's not obviously strong and pushing the strong stuff really hard. It seems like at .25/.50 the more I muck marginal hands the more these guys bet into me when I have strong ones, instead of the other way around, so I don't lose anything by getting a weak-tight image.

It's like the fact that they've seen I can fold to a bet or raise on any street on a hand I was betting convinces them that if they raise me with King high they can get the pot. Well they can have it if I have Ace high. The times I would have won divided by the times I would have lost to a baby pair seem more than made up for by their extra willingness to bet/raise at me when I have 2 pair or a set and they have a pair or nothing.

It is painful when I river the nuts on a hand I mucked though...

I know it's not going to be like that so much at higher limits...but maybe I'll wait until then to worry about it. It seems so iffy betting without any made hand on flops where it seems to me any random player has as much chance of making a hand as I do, and for sure just calling is gonna lose.

The problem is the players in the games I'm in will take shots, but will almost never fold even bottom pair. Without any fold equity betting overcards feels like a loser to me. When I hit a game with players who can fold I do push with overcards.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM

goad,

I think you will lose a lot less money playing a weak-tight style to start than trying to feign a tight-aggressive style that you don't understand yet. sounds like you're on your way to a profitable future.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 PM

**grunch**

this is very suspicious play by a 'bet or fold' type of guy ... I'll assume he had you beat on the flop and let you bet for him; or, had a weaker ace than yours.

he bets: i call (50/50 I'm dead)
he checks: i check (because I really want to see what he has - and I would fold to a check-raise, and wouldn't want him to fold to a bet)

and start making notes after
Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call a donk and bet/fold if c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]