Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Hitting Batters

[ QUOTE ]
Ozzie Guillen is a piece of [censored].

Throwing at somebody intentionally should NEVER be ok and I really dislike that baseball doesn't deal with crap like this with more agression.

I understand why tdarko and kyle are saying what they're saying, but I just hate the mentality that it stems from. The notion that you "have" to retaliate is some stupid retarded macho [censored] that should've died ages ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree

throwing at a batter is the biggest pussy move in all sports, even more so than soccer diving
Old 06-15-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand why tdarko and kyle are saying what they're saying, but I just hate the mentality that it stems from. The notion that you "have" to retaliate is some stupid retarded macho [censored] that should've died ages ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids,

It isn't coming from a "macho" standpoint though, not even close. I will speak from a pitchers POV: Hitting a batter or retaliation is a teammate thing not a macho thing, and trust me, us pitchers are normally smaller than many of the hitters and usually fear them charging us. Not that we can't hold our own or are pussies necessarily it is just that we aren't the physical players that position players are, you see guys like Farnsworth and are mis-led b/c those are exceptions, most pitchers aren't the absolute cock-strong bruts like him.

When hitters are getting beaned the plate is taken away from them, they now have fear when they go up to the plate and hitting is already difficult as is and when you add fear it is impossible. This is why pitching inside is so effective, it takes the plate away...all of the posters that don't play the game for a living can chime in with what they think they know but it is a fact. It is why you see pitchers throw up and in, under the chin intentionally and then paint an outside fastball at the knees the very next pitch...this is extremely effective and impossible for hitters--and if pitchers can do this they are going to be effective. So when my hitters are getting plunked, I am going to start plunking the other teams hitters so that the other team knows they can't just keep hitting our guys--thus our hitters can feel comfortable in the box again, knowing that their pitchers are going to protect them. I have played on teams in which the pitchers wouldn't protect the hitters and saw fights in the clubhouse after the game between one of our relievers and one of our outfielders...this is how the game is played Dids, you protect your teammates, it has zero to do with machismo and everything to with taking care of others.

Last night our outfielder had played AAA ball with the opposing pitcher and they hated each other, the pitcher had been talking [censored] to our guy all game and in the 6th he tried to hit him and threw it right behind his head and the next pitch hit him in the back, guess what happened next inning? The first batter wore it in the ribs and both benches cleared, no brawl, but you take care of your teammates. Our guy was comfortable the next time he went up to bat b/c the other team knows if they throw at him their guy is catching it in the ribs, and do you think their guys want to wear it in the ribs?

~td
Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The notion that you "have" to retaliate is some stupid retarded macho [censored] that should've died ages ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, we are talking about baseball. It's a game. It's a sport. It requires a high level of testosterone. The whole idea is about physical (as well as mental) competition. Grunting is welcomed. Retaliation is only natural in these type of events.

Now if I'm in my office and someone undermines me in some way, I would not grunt and throw an object at them, because it wouldn't be natural. I would just set their homepage to Gayoutdoors.com
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 PM

I've seen that Tracy kid throw. My guess is, he tried to hit Blalock and couldn't. Tracy probably wasn't crying. He was hanging his head in embarassment because he had five shots to hit a man 6-1 200lbs and missed all five times, including three IN THE STRIKE ZONE!!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:38 PM

So long as AJ got hit twice, I approve of it.

It didn't quite get the publicity, but Posada got hit yesterday and Jeter got buzzed; in retaliation, Randy Johnson threw high and tight and both he and Torre got kicked out. Like it or not, it's part of the game.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's already been sent back to Triple A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracey was sent down to make room for David Riske who was just acquired in a trade from Boston.

To echo a few earlier points; Hawk Harleson is horrid and has been that way for years. AJP being hit twice is great.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So long as AJ got hit twice, I approve of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 PM

Pitchers hit players in order to protect their own,as has already been established. AJ is a dick, and is routinely voted by people around baseball as the most hated player in the sport. I hate the guy, and am glad to see him get a few put into his back. Hitting someone in the back, ribs, butt=fine when it comes to retaliation. Knees or head=not ok by any stretch of the imagination.

On another note, why did Ozzie put in Tracey? After watching him throw a couple days ago I decided after 3 pitches that the kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if he got 3 tries, so why put him in to try and hit someone? I think Ozzie has some funny moments, but I believe he's an idiot like some of the other posters here.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]