Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Take the Hotel or the $1,000

Hey Bob,

I'm probably just going to take the hotel because it's easier. No doubt financially I'll do better by finding a cheaper place and pocketing the loot, but since I plan on being a multi-millionaire by the end of that week...who cares?

The car rental is an interesting idea that I hadn't considered. THe last time I was there was Janary and we walked everywhere.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
THe last time I was there was Janary and we walked everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there last July. Trust me you will not want to walk around outside during the day. It was like 120+ everyday, which is like what, 50 degrees celcius? It was insane hot.

Cabs are def the way to go if the $$ isnt a big issue. I personally think going from door to door is a big plus vs finding parking and dealing with traffic in a city you're not too familiar with. GL in the main event!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM

I took the hotel because I'm super-lazy and didn't want to deal with the arduous process of filling out forms on the internet or (gasp) talking to people over the phone to get a room. I got an email the other day saying I got a room at the Monte Carlo. How is it? Good [censored]? Free internet? I saw it's close to Bellagio...
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM

I am also at Monte Carlo. Internet is 10.99/day. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 10:41 PM

I took the cash, spent it on the airfare, hotel and incidentals. I went by myself and I didn't have an SO to entertain, so I went low budget: Palace Station, off the strip. I wish I hadn't taken the room upgrade,in retrospect, because I was never in my room. A rental car would have been more convienient, but I didn't mind taking shuttles and the occasional late night taxi.

Taking the cash allowed me to let PS eat the airfare. I wanted the trip to be totally covered by the package (minus busting out and going on mind-altering, BR breaking tilt), so for me taking the cash was EV+.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 PM

Why is everyone talking about taxi fares? Doesn't the monorail work pretty well for getting from one hotel to another, at least on the strip? Is the Rio near a monorail stop?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone talking about taxi fares? Doesn't the monorail work pretty well for getting from one hotel to another, at least on the strip? Is the Rio near a monorail stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rio is not on the strip or near a monorail stop.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rio is not on the strip or near a monorail stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

True...I just called the Rio and learned this.

Harrah's has its own monorail stop, however, and there's a free shuttle every 30 minutes between Harrah's and the Rio. Would that be way too much hassle to deal with multiple times?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 AM

I took the hotel checked the site of hotel I'm staying at and it would cost like 2k to stay there for nine nights!!!
Take the hotel difinitly worth it. GL Man [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THe last time I was there was Janary and we walked everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there last July. Trust me you will not want to walk around outside during the day. It was like 120+ everyday, which is like what, 50 degrees celcius? It was insane hot.

Cabs are def the way to go if the $$ isnt a big issue. I personally think going from door to door is a big plus vs finding parking and dealing with traffic in a city you're not too familiar with. GL in the main event!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there in Aug with a rental car. A) Vegas was pretty easy to deal with, traffic-wise. B) There was parking EVERYWHERE. Just drive into any hotel, park your car and walk away. C) Walking is def. an option if you can handle the heat. I walked the strip on a number of a occusion, just cause we parked at the Wynn or something and ended up playing at Mandalay Bay. Keep in my mind that I'm from Israel and can handle the 110~ degrees. A car is def. a better option if you can't.