Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Tough bubble decision.

You have to push, you pick up 1200 in blinds.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Usually I have a supertight image in these things. I find that most players will not resteal from me without quite a good hand. Of late, I've been trying the miniraise move a whole lot more. I've still stolen the blinds with great frequency and I've been shown some massive hands (AA,KK,AK,JJ) after I folded to the reraise. On the bubble, there is a lot to say for making the smaller raise and folding in a slightly +EVchip situation. If I've already shown down a steal hand, then I'll just push because I can't be sure that I'm not facing a resteal. When I've still got squeaky tight credibility, though, reraises are the truth.

In the hand I posted, I think it's a no doubt push b/c the blind are so darned high. AJo is a strong enough hand that pushing is definitely +EV even if the blinds were only 300/600. I think that the miniraise play would be more +EV, though. People love to miniraise w/ AA,KK so villains naturally fear a monster against a miniraise from a very tight player.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually I have a supertight image in these things. I find that most players will not resteal from me without quite a good hand. Of late, I've been trying the miniraise move a whole lot more. I've still stolen the blinds with great frequency and I've been shown some massive hands (AA,KK,AK,JJ) after I folded to the reraise. On the bubble, there is a lot to say for making the smaller raise and folding in a slightly +EVchip situation. If I've already shown down a steal hand, then I'll just push because I can't be sure that I'm not facing a resteal. When I've still got squeaky tight credibility, though, reraises are the truth.

In the hand I posted, I think it's a no doubt push b/c the blind are so darned high. AJo is a strong enough hand that pushing is definitely +EV even if the blinds were only 300/600. I think that the miniraise play would be more +EV, though. People love to miniraise w/ AA,KK so villains naturally fear a monster against a miniraise from a very tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love min raises...when my opponents do them. They allow me to push hands I would have probably folded to a push. When the blinds are high, this is very juicy.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:10 PM

Only danger is you're stacking off nearly dead to my AA, KK way more often. It's not like I'd only be popping in min raises with hands that won't call a push.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Instapush. Minraise folding is very exploitable. In this spot if you minraised you would need to call a repush with AJ as you are the chipleader and there would be a ton of overlay.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instapush. Minraise folding is very exploitable. In this spot if you minraised you would need to call a repush with AJ as you are the chipleader and there would be a ton of overlay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, agreed. With the blinds this high, I'd have to call a push from every other stack so pushing is a no-brainer.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only danger is you're stacking off nearly dead to my AA, KK way more often. It's not like I'd only be popping in min raises with hands that won't call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you more likely to have AA/KK when I push, say, 66 over your min raise, than I'm likely to have AA/KK when I push over your 66 min raise?

The point I'm getting at is: the combination of times I get a fold, the times I'm ahead when called, and the times I behind and win, pays off much more than what I lose the times I get called and lose.

Do you really want me to push over your min raise with 66 when you have AK? Or would you rather pick up the blinds when I fold to your push? Fold equity is very very important in sngs. If you are min raising, you lose a lot of it and give it to your opponents.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:49 AM

Easy push... I totally agree with Devin on this. I think mini raises are weak.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Why is this a push? You could be severly crippled with AJo? Why get hurt when the others are all just as desperate as you. Why not let someone else bubble and at least get into the money? Do you play the same way with 99 too? ALL in? How about ATo or A9o?

If you are called with AJo in this spot, you are most likely completely crushed.