Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 05:56 AM

Default Re: World Domino Tournament on ESPN now...

[ QUOTE ]
I hope to never see this on tv again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew virtually nothing about the game prior to this TV exposure. A few episodes later, I wouldn't be upset if I never saw a domino again in my life.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:17 PM

I was hoping for more yelling at the end of matches.

I couldn't follow the action to save my life.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:23 AM

I was very disappointed by the broadcast of this. A lot of the time, I couldn't tell why one team had won instead of the other. Sometimes, it was obvious that one team was resigning, but other times, someone would play their last domino and yet the other team won.

Also, I noticed in the first episode the announcers said something like, "players tend to get rid of 4's early on...they tend to be unwieldy tiles." Am I missing something, or aren't all of the numbers function identical? How would some numbers be more or less difficult to play than others?

Also, it there any significance to the orientation of the dominoes on the board? I wish the rules were better explained.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM

From watching this there has to be at least some skill, with most of the skill being in picking up tells from your partner and hiding those tells.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 PM

It was a real nail biter! I was on the edge of my seat.

Seriously, didn't enjoy the broadcast. Couldn't tell how they won half the time since it seemed like they had a tile left.

But I will admit it got me interested in learning dominoes a little.

Its funny how I like to watch these "sports" or competitions that would be a joke elsewhere I guess.

Heck when I was on vacation I was actually watching professional minature golf players compete for some money.

Also wasted an hour of my life watching Rock, Paper Scissors tournament. Wish I hadn't...heh.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't understand what was going on at the end of these games sometimes.

I understand that when nobody can domino out, the person with the least points wins for their team, but the endgame happens so fast on these shows, I still couldn't process it. These shows aren't very noob-friendly.

I thought it was interesting that the ocmmentators come off as being much better players than the people in the game! Several times they immediately call out a play as a big blunder, and sure enough it will invariably turn out to be a fatal mistake that costs the team a game. I wonder if these guys do the commentary with perfect hindsight, knowing exactly what happened in all the games? Or is it a case of holecard-itis where they let the knowledge of the "hole cards" affect their analysis too much? Something like that, or else those two should form their own team and get into the competition..