Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Stand up to the frothing maniac?

[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar situation in a home game last night, but with two maniacs who push 50% or more of their hands. Not necesarily the best 50% either.

The first pushed, the second overpushed. I cover both. I have 88 on the button. Blinds are weak and will be folding.

What do I do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

The overpusher, were his previous pushes first-in? If this is the first time he's confronting another all-in player, I might step back and see what he's got. If you've seen him call preflop all-in bets with rags, i'd be very tempted to call this.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:13 PM

super easy call. 88 is a 70:30 favorite against a random hand. Maniac will go broke before you pick up a better hand.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:14 PM

These two were colliding every fourth hand all in.

The overcaller is likely to have an ace. The other guy could have 92o

edit:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 42.6950 % 42.50% 00.20% { 8d8h }
Hand 2: 36.9285 % 36.37% 00.56% { 66+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, A2o+, KQo }
Hand 3: 20.3765 % 19.73% 00.65% { random }

Even giving the overcaller a way tighter range than he actually has, I should still call .

At any rate, I called, and saw 92o and A6s. my hand stood up unimproved. Both maniacs did a rebuy and didn't change their game at all.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:24 PM

I would also add that I think limping with the intention of calling a push is preferable here IMO. By raising we give the maniac the chance to dump his worse hands, while he is more likely to push any two if it is limped to him. Also we are probably going to have to fold if maniac pushes and gets a caller. There are reasons why raising is good but I think these considerations make limping better.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Well, I did quick call, and he turned over KK! I was more than a bit annoyed at getting what I felt was cold decked, until the flop comes and I catch an 8! Oh, how nice that felt.

Afterward, he did a bit of whining, asking how I called with my eights when he had kings. I replied that "I didn't know you had kings, all I saw was a guy going all-in every hand".

He then claimed that the two other hands he pushed all-in with where "a pair and AK". Besides that I take this to be highly dubious, another player asked him why he always raised all-in pf? Maniac replied that he was tired of getting outdrawn by bad hands like 88, so he wanted to force them out.

lmao.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also add that I think limping with the intention of calling a push is preferable here IMO. By raising we give the maniac the chance to dump his worse hands, while he is more likely to push any two if it is limped to him. Also we are probably going to have to fold if maniac pushes and gets a caller. There are reasons why raising is good but I think these considerations make limping better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's definitely merit in what you're saying, and if I had to do it over again, that's probably the strategy i'd employ. At the time, I raised because if Maniac didn't play I still wanted to protect my hand against all of the weak limpers at the table.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Instacall
Old 06-10-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's very likely that once he busts he leaves the table. You may not get a better chance. It's not like this is a marginally +ev spot. There's a very good chance that his range is atc cards and that this spot is hugely +ev.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, i agree with a call now.