Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Should the Twins move Mauer to a different position?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember the exact stories, but he pretty much dominated 3 sports in high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football- USA Today national player of the year his senior year as a QB, went to the 5A state title game twice, winning once, had signed letter of intent to go to Florida State.

Basketball- All-state junior and senior years as a point guard.

Baseball- USA Today player of the year his senior year, he hit over .600 and also was used as a closer after catching most of the game....I know he averaged over 2K/IP with a very low ERA. Tied a record with HRs in 7 consecutive games, and my favorite part......struck out only once in his entire high school career.

Minnesota legend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:15 PM

I think we have our Sup Bro avatar here.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 PM

Absolutely not, considering there is no [censored] way the Twins can re-sign him when he becomes a free agent.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 PM

I would say there is an above average chance that he is a Twin for life.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not, considering there is no [censored] way the Twins can re-sign him when he becomes a free agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree. Considering what Mauer means to the state of Minnesota and Twins fans in general, Ryan and Pohlad will do everything they can to keep Mauer in Minnesota for the rest of his career. Obviously the Yankees can always outbid us, but I would like to think that Joe feels some loyalty to his home state and settle for a million or two less than he could get elsewhere. Only time will tell, but the new stadium will certainly help.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say there is an above average chance that he is a Twin for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its wishful thinking, but I would agree.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:35 PM

Catcher's generally play 20 or so games less than other positions even when young and completely healthy so it may be something to consider if they had a player who needed to DH in order to be in the lineup. For now they can give Mauer the requisite number of days off from catching while keeping him in the lineup as a DH. So in the AL it isn't really a problem unless they had a guy like Ortiz who doesn't play any defensive position very well, but who's bat is so awesome that he has to be in the lineup...
Old 06-10-2006, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Twins have the baseball's best pitcher signed to a multiyear deal, then certainly it is possible for them to resign Mauer, especially considering he is a hometown hero and might give them a discount.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Twins have the baseball's best pitcher signed to a multiyear deal, then certainly it is possible for them to resign Mauer, especially considering he is a hometown hero and might give them a discount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Santana was not a free agent, and was a Rule 5 Draft Pick. This is completely different than signing someone when they attain free agency. Mauer will be with the team through arbitration (assuming the Twins can buy out his arbitration years, which GM Terry Ryan is smart enough to do), and probably will be let go after free agency after being offered arbitration. He'll go to a team that is willing to shell out the big bucks for him and needs a strong bat, and the Twins will receive compensatory draft picks. It works out for the Twins.

Trust me. There is no way Mauer will be a Twin after free agency barring some sort of ownership change.

EDIT: Or career-altering injury.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me. There is no way Mauer will be a Twin after free agency barring some sort of ownership change.

EDIT: Or career-altering injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I trust you? You are condescending, not in touch with the situation in Minnesota, and most important of all, you haven't given me one good reason.

Anyways, I agree that the Mauer situation has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we happen to have the best pitcher in baseball at the moment.