Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Important concept least covered in this forum?

People hold back dude.

Sometimes someone goes 'f uck it all i'm going to try to make some progress and post something real'. This is very rare, most the time they'll just give you a rough standard line.

BTW I actually think this is a good thing, like with Magicians.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 PM

Optimal bluffing frequency, especially in the context of large overbets. Always wanted to see more about this, but it's not happening.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 PM

The math behind large overbets is pretty straightforward using Theory of Poker as a reference point and yes I'm being a magician.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 PM

Yes and also PL And NL poker by bob Ciafonne. But you'll get it if you're either a magician or completely retarded. I just hope you're not Jewish.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:58 PM

Sure there are those who hold back but there are also posters who are interested in discussing advanced concepts for a variety of motivations. And a lot of time it's merely falling into a rut, not always an unwillingness to discuss 'secrets'. Whether you agree with everything he says or not Sklansky's posts are relatively advanced theoretical posts, others such as Samoleous's initial posts somewhat delved into Ultra Lag theoretical concepts, ML4L's 'Running Game' post, etc. And frankly the vast majority of hands even 99% of HSNL posters play are NOT against each other, though that has changed somewhat for the Party 10/20 6max games which have become pretty incestous.

Bruiser's posts on this board show the value of being willing to lay it out there, during his 5-10 & 10/20 Stars days he was discussing his own logic very implicitly and while doubtless his understanding of the game increased a lot through his own introspection, he doubtless obtained a lot of valueable feedback by being willing to discuss a great deal of conceptual strategy throughout his learning curve.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Good post IHC.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:05 PM

Something people often don't mention which somewhat goes hand in hand with metagame IMO, is the recent history you've had with your opponent(s). The last time you took a line like call a PF raise and c/r the flop or call the flop and turn and lead the river and if your hand got showndown or not...I think a lot of people, as they should, notice these and how important it is that a lot of straightfoward players always take the same line with their monsters and the same lines with their bluffs.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM

I have to disagree with this somewhat with online poker, the amount of data availible on one's opponents via datamining and pokertracker can go a VERY long way to determining correct bluffing/calling frequency vs one's opponents, especially those whose approach to the game is either particularly systematic or whose impulses tend to be consistent enough that it results in the same thing. When you have in excess of 100k+ hands in PT on your opponents, you do have substantial data at your disposal for those inclined to use it.

Unlike a lot of of HSNL posters, I don't play a lot of touch and guts poker, my approach is largely mathematical for the vast majority of my hands; for a # of reasons but primarily because I play probably 90% of my hands while working or doing other things. So I'm not necessarily paying attention to every individual game to the extent that others are. There are times when I do decide based on feel but a substantial # of my decisions are based on a external randomizer, in my case a yahoo clock widget. For example, limping with a PP vs raising with it, if stack sizes and # of highly aggressive players behind me are unexceptional, then my decision to limp vs raising with pp's is a % decision. Other decisions I make, especially against players I have played a ton of hands with are sometimes made on a similar basis, if I don't have a gut feeling on them.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are times when I do decide based on feel but a substantial # of my decisions are based on a external randomizer, in my case a yahoo clock widget.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] awesome. Where can I get this widget?!?!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:40 PM

it's just a clock with a second hand that's set to always on top, I just don't wear a watch most of the time, there's nothing special about it.

But for what it's worth, http://widgets.yahoo.com/.