Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 07:24 AM

Default Re: 6max 1/2 - Calling raises

If it is a TAG player, you should be very wary about calling without premium or very speculative holdings. AJo loses all value, and even AQo is very very shaky at best.

You should be calling with hands like 22, which makes or folds. These will win you money in position, and even OOP. Hands like 78s. And if this TAG is tough to extract from, even these are folded.

Against a TAG that is tough as well, you can only really play hands you are willing to reraise with enough ways to make money.

If you are talking about cold-calling raises from TAGs, you are probably doing fine.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise in MP with JJ get called by button, who called with A7o

and

I raise in MP with JJ get called by SB, who called with JTo

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling with these hands is super sucky. If I'm wrong, then I'm terrible.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:52 AM

Skuzzy, unless you're table image is a COMPLETE maniac, these guys are being idiots, as Colonel has said.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:19 AM

thanks for clarification - every now and then i get paranoid. I start to believe that the TAGS are all fools being outplayed by the donks. I think that somewhere on the net is a website where a mad, aggressive, play any two style is being put forward and somehow it works. I think that CIA [censored] up my implant. I think that online poker is rigged and the real challenge is to realise that 2 outers never really hit. I think that Nixon was really President of the whole galaxy. I think Snickers bars are made from squirrel vomit. I think that God plays online poker because nobody would ever know anyway. I think its time for my meds.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 AM

skuzzy,

yeah, they were both bad calls.

As for calling ranges, its something im working on at the moment, but your calling range should be actually reasonably tight. The reason being that you don't have the initiative in the hand. I don't really like calling possibly dominated hands that won't win big pots, even in position. So withought multiple callers, I would chuck AJo/KQo/KJo etc. I really like my suited aces, so I call a lot with them, but I might start folding tham soon. They are slightly in the green for me though I think, mainly b/c I play my draws so fast that I get a lot of FE. Again, I'm not 100% sure about calling raises with 56s. I mean, if you are HU to the flop, they don't really play all that well IMO.

In general, the less calling you do preflop, the better
Old 06-09-2006, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, the less calling you do preflop, the better

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say I have mixed feelings about this statement. Maybe if you replace that calling with some raises. Obviously, and I know you know this too, there is an inversion point to your statement... :-D And I think it highly depends on player style and opponents.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:34 AM

i often run my PFR at 60-85% of my VPIP i limp only to mix [censored] up. But if im coming in, im coming for a raise.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:57 AM

What are you talking about? You mean you reraise behind?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise in MP with JJ get called by button, who called with A7o

and

I raise in MP with JJ get called by SB, who called with JTo

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling with these hands is super sucky. If I'm wrong, then I'm terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't call with A7o in that spot, but I'll call with stuff like JT from the BB or the button (BB it's cheaper, and Button cuz I have position), depending on my opponents.

If the villain is a loose raiser then I might be ahead of his range, or at least even with it. I'm playing mainly for 2 pair, trips or a straight. If he's got a normal raising range, JT has massive implied odds because if I make a straight, he's very likely got 2 pair and I'll get paid well. Also, if the person raising does not have the ability to fold, I'll happily call raises in position with just about anything reasonable. I keep notes on the guys that simply can't fold AA even though they've been told 3 times that it's no good.