Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: HU cash games

"Pairs are good - TPGK goes to the felt everytime.

2pair+ I stop caring about what hand the other guy might have and just want to get all the money in the middle.

You win a good percentage of hands with just A high.

I only ever care about straights/flushes if the board is 4flush/4straight and I don't have it and the villain is happy to keep betting - they come around so rarely that you do better not to worry about them"

I don't like this, maybe after you've been at the table for a while you see it's true against that specific player but I don't like it as a default plan.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Pairs are good - TPGK goes to the felt everytime.

2pair+ I stop caring about what hand the other guy might have and just want to get all the money in the middle.

You win a good percentage of hands with just A high.

I only ever care about straights/flushes if the board is 4flush/4straight and I don't have it and the villain is happy to keep betting - they come around so rarely that you do better not to worry about them"

I don't like this, maybe after you've been at the table for a while you see it's true against that specific player but I don't like it as a default plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

FH's right. You'll lose a hell of a lot of money alone by playing TPGK that way, let alone some of the other stuff in cash games.

That said, matrix's strategy seems directed toward HU SNG's, and his strategy is pretty good.

Edited to clarify distinction between HU cash and HU SNG's
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 PM

really??

HU is a game mostly about adjusting to the opponent - vs some players my method above wins the money - vs some players it's a recipe for disaster - but that is more or less my default plan and so far it seems to work OK.

HOH2 pg 369 "4 Key principles of HU preflop play"

1. Any pair is a big hand (my emphasis)
2. Almost all hands are battles of unpaired cards
3. Domination isn't as bad as you think
4. You mostly have the odds you need to play

pg 380 - "the play of each hand is typically closely tied to the play that preceeded it"

"as soon as possible you want the answers to these questions:

1. Is villain deperate or confident?
2. Is he happy playing a long session - does he want a quick session?
3. Is he limping with bad or good hands or a mixture?
4. What hands will he slowplay?
5. What hand does he need to call all-in?"

If my default plan is not too good - what do you suggest as an alternative??
Old 06-08-2006, 12:46 PM

matrix, I haven't read the book but that seems oriented towards hu play in a tournament. In a cash game with deep stacks I play a NFD like the nuts (hyperbole, etc [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) but not TPGK.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to get good at HU is to play more. I want to read isura's reply to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, generally just throw all the rules out and start playing. Preferrably find someone who is good and wants to also get better. But heads and learn cheaply.

BTW you were a nit when we played HU 300bb deep. But I bluffed you in spots when you were showing obvious strength (damn me and my 2nd level thinking) . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW you were a nit when we played HU 300bb deep. But I bluffed you in spots when you were showing obvious strength (damn me and my 2nd level thinking) . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I did play like a scared little girl at times, but I had the cards when I needed them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM

matrix,

I don't know whether you're directing your response to me or not, but you're reinforcing my point. HOH2 deals specifically with tournaments, not cash games. The difference is substantial in terms of how many BB's you have, an inability to reload, and a need to get things done before the blinds increase.