Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Taking stealing the blinds to next level

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the more i play, the more I realize how important position is. OOP SUCKS!

[/ QUOTE ]
I WANT A POOH-BAH POST ON POSITION! AND IF I DON'T SEE ONE, I'LL WRITE ONE, WHICH WILL RUIN WHOEVER READS IT! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 AM

dbitel,

Nice post. This will work against most SSNL opponents. The only defense against your play is for the blinds to widen their 3-bet range, which will open up the table for more action.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 AM

dbitel,

I think that the stealing the blinds part of it isnt the biggest advantage of doing a lot of stealing. Yes its profitable, but really its deception. Like you said, people want to start looking you up and when you have a good hand, you usually get paid off. For me, thats where the true overlay comes from. The reason that we make a healthy profit stealing blinds is because, by and large, our opponents at SSNL are way too passive. Incidentally, after reading Ed and David's new book, I have from time to time, open limped the button!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Its definitely been profitable, so I think Im picking my spots well. And I think some opponents get really confused when you do this, and put you on a big hand.

Remember, as fimbulwinter once wrote, all preflop bets are a semibluff (except for AA, thats my addition. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Nice post. All of this is just as pertinent to full ring as 6max too.

Good to cu back btw. Hope the exams went well.

Paul
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post.
I would NOT do this with >2 limpers with marginal hands ie unsuited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

"OK, so lets say you're on the button and MP limps to you. You have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , what should you normally do? Well folding certainly doesn't look too bad. We've got a poor hand after all. What do I think you should do? RAISE THAT"

[ QUOTE ]
For example say you have 89o w/ 3 limpers, you raise to 6xBB, you get two calls, and then have to make a scary cbet on a coordinated board

[/ QUOTE ]

-not a good idea to c-bet in that situation

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is you've put a lot in the pot to take it down (1.5x a normal blind steal), and are playing against more people who have more invested in the pot making them more likely to float and hope you give up on the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be mistaken but this method applies to 6 max where you dont have 3 limpers, or in FR where the number of people that fold create the same scenario as 6-max.

PS. As I became more confident in my game, this was added to my chestbox and has been very profitable! When considering hand ranges, consider your own personal ability post-flop and act accordingly. Awesome Post!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM

nh dbitel.

welcome back.

Please don't give away all the secrets. Go back to giving your poorly worded, sub-optimal advise now that you've given away this nugget. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't give away all the secrets. Go back to giving your poorly worded, sub-optimal advise now that you've given away this nugget. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

will do [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 AM

I have this post stickied and go back and read it every once in a while. I went back again this morning because of a situation that happened last night.

I attempt to steal blinds over 40% of the time and have a BB/100 of 76 since June 12. (This is the day I turned the corner in my poker career, lol... 43,000 hands since then with a BB/100 of over 17.)

I had a player just to my left last night who defended his blinds very hard. He was there for about 90 minutes and I tried to steal blinds at least 6 times (Full Ring.) He kept coming back at me or check raising. A couple times I felt like I had the best hand, but did not push it.

Then nirvana came. I tripped up my sixes and of course he check raised me. I call and he went all in on the turn. Got him... $500 pot on the $200 table. I am not sure I get this if I hadn't been attempting to buy blinds all night. So I lost a few small pots, but the big win made up for it.

Stealing blinds is so underrated at small stakes full ring. I cannot believe more people don't do it. If you don't you should!!!!

Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dbitel,

Nice post. This will work against most SSNL opponents. The only defense against your play is for the blinds to widen their 3-bet range, which will open up the table for more action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a practical method we can use to determine a rough probability that our blinds are being stolen without long term statistics? Some sort of heuristic.... Obviously one button raise does not make a steal. Two in a row, become alert. Three in a row, stealing is probably happening. Four in a row, stealing is happening, widen 3-bet range.

The idea being something like 30% of hands are worth a button raise, and are not really steals, as they are likely better than the blinds, and you have position on the limper(s). The chance of getting two in a row is ~10%, so that's possible. Three in a row is like 3%. Four in a row is under 1%.

Repetitions of button raises with 1 orbit gaps should be taken into account too.

Loosen 3bet standards if-
4 button raises in a row
2X3 button raises in a row
3x2 button raises in a row.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dbitel,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a mistake. Defending blinds <<<<< Minimizing the # hands of hands you play OOP.