Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: How does Daniel Negreanu make money? (MTT strategy)

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I certainly got schooled.

I thought for sure that getting knocked out 40% of the time in the first hand would be -EV, since having double the starting stack doesn't necessarily make it SO MUCH more likely that you'll win (place ITM).

[/ QUOTE ]

It approximately doubles (slightly less than doubles) your chances of making the money and/or winning the tournament.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:20 PM

This Cardplayer article by Matt Matros addresses the issue.

He agrees with Daniel that you shouldn't pass up a 60/40 edge, but disagrees that it is okay to pass up a 55/45 edge and suggests that only a very good player should pass up a 53/47 edge.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM

I won't bother doing anything to this thread, but I'd wager than the MTT forum is probably the best place for MTT strategy. Mostly because you'll get MUCH better answers.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 PM

yeah...check out some of the FAQs that have gone up in MTT...this topic comes up over and over
Old 12-31-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...six out of 10 times, you’d start the tournament with twice as many chips, while four times, you’d be out early and could enjoy the rest of the afternoon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Handsome, i think this is important. Remeber, to the "top pros", their $10k is far from scared money. I they bust, they can pretty much just shrug their shoulders, say "meh", and move on. For DN to have a few free days to play the side games, when they are at their juiciest, makes a big difference.
A secondary consideration would be that doubling allows loss of a allin and still have avg stack. It allows him to make some plays, and take some ppl of the best hand, which is a tool more valuable to him than to you or I.

Win= valuable extra chips
Lose= walk over to the side games and sit...where EV may be as much or even more than sitting a few more days in the main event. Its certainly not a big EV hit if he loses.

*Although, for DN to make the final table of WSOP would be worth much more than the true $ prize, as his endorsemnt value rises even higher than it is now. I suspect his is a consideration of many top players...winning WSOP ME is worth more than the prize, not to mention the braggin rites among the other big names.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Every time you flip those cards over and you're a 60% fav...you played the hand correctly - even if you lose - you made the right play - took me a long time to get that in my head.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

My head gets it, but my heart doesn't when I lose. It's a personal problem really... I need therapy, or more beer...
Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 PM

It's easy for pros to take a 60/40 hand when they have a hug bankroll. For those of us with a smaller bankroll, we're essentially trying to get in the money, as opposed for outright winning the tournament. You can't be a top player unless losing the buy-in is meaningless to you.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy for pros to take a 60/40 hand when they have a hug bankroll. For those of us with a smaller bankroll, we're essentially trying to get in the money, as opposed for outright winning the tournament. You can't be a top player unless losing the buy-in is meaningless to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good idea to be playing any tournaments if you have to modify your strategy because the buy-in is significant to you.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good idea to be playing any tournaments if you have to modify your strategy because the buy-in is significant to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be a good idea economically.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:42 PM

What if you satalite in?