Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Re: 30/60 Stud8 - heads-up aggression

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...in most cases, in a heads-up pot, it's usually correct to peel one off if you brick on 4th...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people think so and piss away EV because of it. I know it's hard to believe coming from a < 10-poster, but a heads-up pot plays very differently than a 3-handed one.
It is very rare for a situation to arise where you are not getting the pot odds to go to 5th when you are against only one player.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 PM

This very much depends on the size of the pot, among other things.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This very much depends on the size of the pot, among other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously. I am talking about in a full or nearly-full game.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...in most cases, in a heads-up pot, it's usually correct to peel one off if you brick on 4th...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people think so and piss away EV because of it. I know it's hard to believe coming from a < 10-poster, but a heads-up pot plays very differently than a 3-handed one.
It is very rare for a situation to arise where you are not getting the pot odds to go to 5th when you are against only one player.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main problem with this line of thinking is that even though money was put in on 3rd street and, and it may be correct to peel, problems have a tendency to compound and peeling on 4th may put you in a terrible position on 5th. There are not many occasions whne it is correct to peel on 4th when someone catches good.

In addition this is another problem that arises when you put in 18 bets on 3rd street with hands that dont warrant it...

Edit: Basically what I am saying is that the sims on twodimes may not always reflect how the hand is going to play out how many people would expect it to given the numbers.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main problem with this line of thinking is that even though money was put in on 3rd street and, and it may be correct to peel, problems have a tendency to compound and peeling on 4th may put you in a terrible position on 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

5th is your decision street. If you catch bad again, you're almost certainly going to have to fold. If you catch good, then you need to figure out where you are. But in a heads-up pot your decision will never be that difficult because you will never have to worry about being jammed.

[ QUOTE ]
In addition this is another problem that arises when you put in 18 bets on 3rd street with hands that dont warrant it...

[/ QUOTE ]

This analysis applies even if there was only 1 full bet on 3rd. In the 30-60 game, for example, if you have 8 $5 antes and 2 $30 bets (eg if you were the bring-in), you're paying $30 into a pot of $160.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5th is your decision street. If you catch bad again, you're almost certainly going to have to fold. If you catch good, then you need to figure out where you are. But in a heads-up pot your decision will never be that difficult because you will never have to worry about being jammed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem here is that you are going to face some incredibly tough decisions on 5th street. I mean, even if you catch good and the other guy catchs bad you guys are still flippin' coins for pots that now have some $$ in them. I do not like flippin' coins on 5th street.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not like flippin' coins on 5th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you're flipping coins with a big overlay at that point. Wouldn't you want to flip a coin getting 3:1 or better?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not like flippin' coins on 5th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you're flipping coins with a big overlay at that point. Wouldn't you want to flip a coin getting 3:1 or better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Antes, BI, maybe some deadmoney from some guy, but a lot of the money in the pot is from you and your opponent.

40$(antes) + 10$(bring-in) + 60$(two SBs on 3rd) + 60$(two SBs on 4th) = 170$ going into 5th

So you basically fighting over the blinds and antes, because the money your opponent put in the pot he will win half the time, and you will win half the time.

Is that logic right? That is the way I am thinking about it at least...

Keep in mind though that I usually multi-table 3-6 and such and that I have maybe only spent 10 hours at 10-20. A lot of the styles I have been opposing recently have been from HHs from 20-40, 30-60 so I dont know how those games play and maybe this aggresive style is what is needed to beat those games.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Antes, BI, maybe some deadmoney from some guy, but a lot of the money in the pot is from you and your opponent.
So you basically fighting over the blinds and antes, because the money your opponent put in the pot he will win half the time, and you will win half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but don't forget that once the money is in the pot, where it came from doesn't matter. That should not influence future decisions.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Hello Pokerlicious

"Yes, but don't forget that once the money is in the pot, where it came from doesn't matter. That should not influence future decisions."

But you put it there! Isn't this like dropping money into the ocean and then jumping after it? Sure, you may suffer an accident, but there's good money to be found on the ocean floor.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question,

Smurf