Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Telling others to tip? Cliff notes & 2 Polls

I would tell them, away from this hand, something like:

"Is this your first time in a card room?"

If he says yes, then
"Not that you are required to do it, but it is customary and considered good etiquette to tip the dealer if you win a decent pot"

If he says no,

"I just noticed you weren't tipping and wasn't sure if you were aware of the custom"
Old 06-01-2006, 12:13 PM

I'm sure if these guys sat at the table long enough they would have eventually noticed that everybody else at the table slid the dealer a chip after winning a pot. I'd never say what you said to anybody. It's none of my business.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 PM

Its fine to politely mention it to a player who you believe is unaware of the fact that tipping the dealer is customary, or a player who you think intends to tip but forgets because he he gets distracted.

However once you tell the player if he is restitant to tipping drop the topic.

One of the most uncomfortable situations I have found myself in as a dealer is a situation in which a player was not tipping me and the rest of the table would continually make comments to him about it. While they thought they were doing me a favor they in fact were just making things worse.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:38 PM

It is ok to say something. Look at it this way:

If they're not tipping because of ignorance, then you've enlightened them and everything's great.

If they're not tipping because of a conscious decision, then they're probably not going to care about what you or anybody else thinks and there's probably no harm done.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:58 PM

Live-play newbie's who kind of don't know and/or don't remember are not that uncommon.

Perhaps a new player notices the whole tipping aspect but then completely forgets about it after dragging a big pot.

My first time in LV was last year during WSOP time. I had played some live in Tunica, Miss so I knew to tip.
But I also played with a lot of Europeans and Australians who just continually forgot.
They also string-bet a lot or got messed up by other aspects of live-play that indicated they may have ONLY played online before.
If I remembered to and was sitting next to them and I happened to notice it once or twice I might politely remind them that they don't HAVE to but that it is appropriate to tip a buck after they win a pot.

Every time I did this I felt my instinct was correct. They thanked me for reminding them and apologized and sometimes threw an extra buck to the dealer for forgetting.

One particularly hammered Australian who never knew how much to bet (in a 4/8 limit game) specifically wanted me to help him remember if I saw that he had forgotten.

You need to use your judgement here.
If someone is just being stingy then that's up to them and you should stay out of it. But if you have a rapport with a guy who mentions it's his first time playing live or first time in LV or in the U.S. then one polite reminder isn't such a bad idea.
And if the dealer overhears it then you've likely got a friend there too (not bad for karma-purposes...even better if perhaps there is some dispute in a hand).
Old 06-01-2006, 01:35 PM

I think it's fine if you think they are new and would take the advice well. Go with your read.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:37 PM

tipping is very important. however, even in the highest limit games $1 is standard. $2 or $3 in a 3/6 game is way too much.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Yeah, that $2 or $3 bit caught my eye too.

Nothing against the dealers who occasionally get tipped red-birds by happy-drunks pulling in a whopping $25 pot...but I think $1 should be okay.

Different tipping topic which I know we're not supposed to talk about too much.
But I've been seeing more $2 tips on bigger pots lately (and I'm talking 4/8 limit).
I still only tip $1 usually...even when I drag a monster pot.
And I feel like the dealer is almost giving me a disappointed/sarcastic 'thank you' as he sees me stacking the chips from the $100 pot I dragged with my full-house or whatever.

I was especially feeling a little bit of pressure (nothing spoken to me...just noticing how much others were tipping) when I played 6/12 or 8/16 with $2 chips.
seemed that a lot of $2 tips were standard.

In short - I hate feeling nittish when I'm actually tipping.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:40 PM

Usually I'll say, "if you aren't going to tip him, I will" and throw the dealer a buck.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that $2 or $3 bit caught my eye too.

Nothing against the dealers who occasionally get tipped red-birds by happy-drunks pulling in a whopping $25 pot...but I think $1 should be okay.

Different tipping topic which I know we're not supposed to talk about too much.
But I've been seeing more $2 tips on bigger pots lately (and I'm talking 4/8 limit).
I still only tip $1 usually...even when I drag a monster pot.
And I feel like the dealer is almost giving me a disappointed/sarcastic 'thank you' as he sees me stacking the chips from the $100 pot I dragged with my full-house or whatever.

I was especially feeling a little bit of pressure (nothing spoken to me...just noticing how much others were tipping) when I played 6/12 or 8/16 with $2 chips.
seemed that a lot of $2 tips were standard.

In short - I hate feeling nittish when I'm actually tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better, when I used to play 20-40 at B&M in Indiana (Harrahs at the time), most players would spring $10 for a roll of 50 cent coins. $0 if no flop, 50 cents for small pot, $1 for large pot was pretty standard with regulars. Haven't played there in years, so I can't comment on if it still happens.