Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Top set on all club flop

I think you played this hand fine as long you rivered a King. If not you need to work on sucking out.
Also, welcome to the forum.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Turn action

Ugh, I played (and lost) a similar hand last night. Villain played his flopped flush as C/C flop, C/minraise turn (7BB shy of all-in). Of course I called and missed my eleven outs (slightly better equity than you; boat + nut flush draw = 25%, you have 20.5% if he flopped a flush). In hindsight, I wish I had checked behind on the turn and taken my free card.

As played, definitely call the minraise. Check behind if possible on the river or call a reasonable valuebet from villain if you don't improve. Valuebet if board pairs, don't lose value by pushing!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, I wish I had checked behind on the turn and taken my free card.

[/ QUOTE ]
p-i, don't you think this hindsight is results oriented? If Villian check/calls flop, and then checks the turn to you, I think you have to bet every time in these types of hands. Unless you had a sick read that this is how Villian will play a flopped flush every time.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:29 AM

I will never bet full pot in this situation... what the heck is going to call you!? Half pot seems about right.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this hand fine as long you rivered a King. If not you need to work on sucking out.
Also, welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the welcome, AZ. I ended up calling the raise on the turn to see if I can boat up on the river. The river brought an offsuit Ace. I had $54 left and that's how much he bet. I was getting ~3/1 on the call, but felt I was beat with a flopped flush so I folded.

Can anyone find a call here? Could he have had the Ace spades with a K on the turn? The fact that he bet exactly my stack seemed strong to me.

Thanks.

Weiyan8
Old 05-31-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Results

Betting you whole stack exactly is a reliable tell for when your opponent has a strong hand. I like the river fold.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, I wish I had checked behind on the turn and taken my free card.

[/ QUOTE ]
p-i, don't you think this hindsight is results oriented? If Villian check/calls flop, and then checks the turn to you, I think you have to bet every time in these types of hands. Unless you had a sick read that this is how Villian will play a flopped flush every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely results orientated. However, turn check/minraise is a donk way of showing strength and I was pretty sure I was behind.

In the OPs hand he crushes any smaller set or two pair. However, I do not think KTo/66/44 C/Rs that turn. Most people play cautiously on a monotone board without the flush.

Best case scenario is hero bets 1/2 to 2/3 pot on the turn and gets called by a) a draw or b) a worse made hand. Obviously hero must call a minraise because he is getting good odds on his draw...and sometimes he may hold the best hand anyway.

River play unimproved is very reads dependant. With none I would be disinclined to put much more money in. If checked to I would probably just check behind in case villain came OTT of my valuebet.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will never bet full pot in this situation... what the heck is going to call you!? Half pot seems about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K of anything

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and anything else

You want someone with a 4 flush to overpay to continue chasing their draw.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:37 PM

Sounds like you played it just fine to me.

The turn minraise is an easy call, because he's showing strength (most likely has the flush), but you are still getting pretty reasonable odds to see the river.