Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: River play with set of jacks?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise on the flop because I didnt want to take a chance of him going C/C on the turn. I was more concerned about getting 2 BB's on the turn than 2 SB's on the flop. Is this correct thinking??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not with this draw heavy board. Get your money in when you have the best hand and not when a scare card comes. Who says he won't 3bet you on the flop? He may even lead into you on the turn after a cap....

Also, if you smooth call the flop and raise a turn like a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], a jack, or even a Q, hands like AA and KK will instantly slow down. Even something like a set of tens might in some instances. This is why you want to push your hand a lot quicker than you already did. I know the standard play is "Me flop top set, me slowplay". But this is really bad on this board in this situation.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

Eggcellant
Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, not with this draw heavy board. Get your money in when you have the best hand and not when a scare card comes. Who says he won't 3bet you on the flop? He may even lead into you on the turn after a cap....

Also, if you smooth call the flop and raise a turn like a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], a jack, or even a Q, hands like AA and KK will instantly slow down. Even something like a set of tens might in some instances. This is why you want to push your hand a lot quicker than you already did. I know the standard play is "Me flop top set, me slowplay". But this is really bad on this board in this situation.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Starting to remember reading that in "Theory of Poker" under the "The Other Problem With Slowplaying" section. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Raise the flop.

Raise the turn.

Raise the river.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:30 AM

Raise and fold to a threebet...... jusssst kidding!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:41 AM

Raise his donking azz
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM

Raise. Sure, he may have AA or a flush...but there's plenty of other hands he could have that you beat. AK-AT, KK, QQ, maybe TT (although I would have expected him to 3-bet the turn with that).

edit: I didn't factor in the KQ earlier...I'm leaning toward call here now. I still think your jacks are probably good, but there's more reasonable hands that beat you than I initially thought.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:14 PM

Default CAUTION: Result of Hand

I raised him after he bet out on the river. He thought about it, and just called. Just like I was afraid of, he flipped over AA and took it down with a river trips.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:49 AM

Im calling here. Flush, and KQo likely raising hand. Already made him pay on the turn...he knows your not folding the hand with one bet, so it is a value bet in case you decide to check it down when the diamond hits on the river. Call.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 AM

because by calling you can raise his but on the river for big bets instead of little ones. You arent driving him out for a flop raise...so let him lead out again on the turn.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Raising the flop...with this draw....

so, are we gonna raise the flop, and then check the turn if a diamond hits? That logic doesnt follow.....now if we raise the flop, a diamond hits the turn, he can checkraise the hell out of us....jmo