Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: PS(114) TT in sb. I never know how to play these.

[ QUOTE ]
Won't the UTG limper soon enough let us know whats up though? I mean we seem to like potting the flop here anyway, so we will spend some chips to find out if he was trapping with a big hand no matter what?

I guess there is a lot of flops that we don't feel like betting into 4 people with though. Maybe I got a bit blinded by the flop here. Still think a raise is a decent option preflop though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that a lot of times you're going to get one or two callers on a Qxx or KJx board and not be very psyched about life.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Check the flop, your hand isn't that good.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check the flop, your hand isn't that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, there have been a number of these types of posts that make me think i'm overvaluing smallish overpairs on connected flops.

what's your plan if the 1st limper bets 3/4 pot and the others fold? call and lead a safe-ish turn?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:32 PM

i dunno why u think we should check the flop (maybe a little explanation?), but im checking the turn for sure.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:41 PM

What are you worried about by checking? Giving a free card? We want a free card... I'd be worried this flop hit somebody hard. I mean if the pot is the size of our stack, then yeah I could see pushing. But if you lead out and somebody has you beat, you're gonna find out quickly but not get to see those 6 outs.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dunno why u think we should check the flop (maybe a little explanation?), but im checking the turn for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are three opponents, I am oop, and our hand is only kinda sorta special. Plus, I am going to need to play a lot of dodgeball on the turn and river for the hand to hold up w/o help. Not sure if check is best though.

Oh, I remember all stacks are around 1500. Sorry about that guys.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think our hand is very good against so many opponents, and there are a billion ugly turn cards and we can't really stand a raise...at least I sure don't want to get a large % of my chips in on this unraised pot right away in a sit and go.

Basically I get the feeling that when I see this flop I'm not at all happy/excited about my hand whereas others here are. I guess its just a difference of opinion.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and there are a billion ugly turn cards and we can't really stand a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the biggest consideration. we're not in great position and i wouldnt like to be calling any raises here either. i dont think a flop bet is horrible, but if you decide to bet the flop in an unraised pot you have to stay weary of callers on such a board. i certainly would check/fold or check/call (depending on future streets cards and opponents), and stop taking a betting lead after the flop.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the biggest consideration. we're not in great position and i wouldnt like to be calling any raises here either. i dont think a flop bet is horrible, but if you decide to bet the flop in an unraised pot you have to stay weary of callers on such a board. i certainly would check/fold or check/call (depending on future streets cards and opponents), and stop taking a betting lead after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

A flop bet is far from horrible. This isn't a no brainer decision IMO. I just stated that I tend to check in these spots.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A flop bet is far from horrible. This isn't a no brainer decision IMO. I just stated that I tend to check in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, i wasnt poking at you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i was actually saying id probably check this flop too (curtains school of poker if you will), but as played would not continue taking the lead if i did lead flop.