Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: One Year Film Watching Experiment

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, on Ghost World, if you can stand graphic novels at all, there is a wonderful one that was the movie's source material.

[/ QUOTE ]

the film is also infinitely better than the current Clowes/Zwigoff (sp?) project, Art School Confidential, which is pretty bad.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:37 PM

Rebecca: This is so bad it's almost good.
Enid: This is so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM

I've seen all but 30 of your list. I'm guessing you own all of these, but I'm curious if you use netflix to get some unfamiliar stuff.

Also, it sounds like you have these movies on in the backgroud when you are working and you aren't necessarily paying much attention to them.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clowes/Zwigoff (sp?) project, Art School Confidential, which is pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Hopefully not too many people get turned off by Art School that they avoid Ghost World. Eightball the comic (where Art School came from) is better as a graphic novel than as a movie, for whatever reason. I don't know why Ghost World worked for me (and apparently for you, and I'm sure most others) more than Art School ... it just did. Better actors, perhaps.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen all but 30 of your list. I'm guessing you own all of these, but I'm curious if you use netflix to get some unfamiliar stuff.

Also, it sounds like you have these movies on in the backgroud when you are working and you aren't necessarily paying much attention to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Netflix isn't conducive to how I watch and want to watch movies -- I buy them all through Amazon, which allows me to choose what I want that exact moment. Sometimes you'll want to watch all of Quentin's films right in a row and sometimes you'll want to go from Pulp Fiction to Bubba Ho-Tep to Office Space.

No, I'm not fully concentrating on the movies as I'm writing / surfing the net / playing online poker in whatever combination. On my desk I have my main monitor and then a second larger one that's dedicated to TV / movies. Both are in front of me at all times, with the movies on the right and the "work" on the left.

Works out okay for me...
Old 05-27-2006, 08:58 AM

Going through the DVD cards this morning to see if I had missed any with the list and apparently I had. So add to the list (and the recommendations) Se7en and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 AM

I really like this list, get rid of the Shyamalan films and my list would be very similar to this one.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:18 AM

You have some good movies on there and alot of movies that really suck.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like this list, get rid of the Shyamalan films and my list would be very similar to this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely have a completist mentality when it comes to certain things. For example: even though I enjoy certain Kevin Smith movies more than others, I have a tendency to do the chronological run from Clerks through Jersey Girl any time I start at the beginning. Likewise, with M. Night from Sixth Sense -> Unbreakable -> Signs -> Village, even though, on their own, I'd watch Unbreakable the most and Village the least.

The unfortunate part is that it's now almost made a ghetto in my DVD collection: I have the 'chosen ones' section in one case and then the aforementioned ghetto for the rest of the cases for the movies I may watch once a year at best.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have some good movies on there and alot of movies that really suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious as to which "really suck" -- especially since you think it's "a lot." I get like the poster above you doesn't dig M.Night so you can toss out those four picks ... but the list is actually a bit tighter than I would've thought outside this experiment. (If asked, I would've thought there are more like 250 movies that I watch the most ... not like 150.)