Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Coached hand...

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to showdown UI if he check/raises you on this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. He might be on the flush draw/straight draw/full of [censored] and since I have to call the turn anyway it might be a good time to call to the river.

Krishan
Old 01-15-2006, 12:46 AM

What if he has 2 hearts? What if he has Ax and has that gut as well as you. He should be calling with those on the turn. How about 67? 2 overs and a gut. Hands like those. Your'e missing value...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:46 AM

Okay, that was my thought too. So I suppose one potential benefit of betting is that it can induce a bluff better than checking behind would. Do you agree?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, that was my thought too. So I suppose one potential benefit of betting is that it can induce a bluff better than checking behind would. Do you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it may induce a bluff.

Krishan
Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 AM

Krishan, if you have a solid read that he will frequently bluff at the river, then checking behind is best. But if not, then we don't care if he plays perfectly. It's better for him to fold his hand than for him to see the river for free. A lot of good TAGs will value-bet little pairs (e.g. A3 here) on the river, but will only rarely bluff at the pot. The check behind turn to catch a bluff line is too well known to be that useful against a *good* TAG. Of course, there are plenty of bad players -- some TAG -- where the line works well. You have to judge this villain based on your read.

In practice, you should mix things up a bit.

If you are planning to show down if check-raised, you should seriously consider 3-betting the turn. There's not much he can cap other than a set or wheel, and he may release a weak made hand, while he will be compelled to call with his draws.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:16 AM

there are so many worse hands he'll be peeling with on that flop that i don't want to give a free card to. i also think TAGs are usually more likely to play big hands fast on this flop. i think your hand is too good to try and induce a bluff rather than bet. i think you have the best hand pretty often and a shitload of equity in the cases you don't.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:28 AM

If you check the turn here, I'm putting you squarely on a hand that wants to showdown because I can't imagine you giving up this chance to bet with JT and fold out some better hands. It's tough to get a good read on how your opponent will play this river situation against you but I think an observant opponent will be betting mostly with his hands he'd like you to call with because most tags (I'm assuming he doesn't know much about you outside of this) aren't folding many hands after this action. So by checking , you allow him a free card and give him some valuable information about your hand that will help him play the river. If you're going to try checking behind a lot more in situations like this, I think you need to start re-evaluating how you want to play your entire range of hands and my intuition tells me this revising will lead to less expectaed value as a whole.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 AM

even if he isn't making a mistake by calling you'd rather him call a bet than give him a free card if he will not bluff the river at a high frequency, which this guy probably wont
Old 01-15-2006, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If betting here is wrong, I'm making a lot of mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone tell me the bad things that can happen from checking this turn?

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i never actualy answered this post... but i think the daves took care of it
Old 01-15-2006, 02:25 AM

On this board, he is never bluffing the river if you check the turn.