Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: U.B. 1 Million Mega Sat thread

i;m out 205 or so, i hate poker.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 AM

I'm still there.

Had a solid 3rd hour. From an M of 3 up to as high as 56th.

Last 20 minutes card dead again and blinded back to 90th.

12 ahead of the bubble with 27 to go.

Shawn Rice with a big stack two to my left. And he is getting some cards, AA and KK in the same orbit.

GL ME !!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 AM

YAHOO!!!

Got there!! Small stack but ahead of several others.

But the last 45 minutes was totally ugly, with half the field on the stall.

Several players were actually hurting themselves by getting too slow and having the blinds go up on them. Didn't matter to me because none of my hands the last two orbits were even close to playable.

But I think this is a very worthwhile topic for a future dicsussion. Maybe someone will pick up on it and start a thread. It's 6am here and I'm beat.

GL me manana!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:41 AM

Man I got a ton of abuse from the bubble person who I knocked out. I was in first overall with 147420 chips (more than twice the 2nd place person) and in the sb. The short stack had 7800 chips and was in the bb. There were 12 people left on 2 tables with 11 of them getting the same sat entry. Blinds were 3000/6000 with 600 ante. So it is folded to me in the sb. The ss in the bb has only 1200 chips over the bb and ante.

People were upset with me on this hand and others earlier where I was punishing the players with <24K in chips (all but 2 of the players) and playing agressive (not crazy agressive, but pushing likely coinflips, steal raises from position, etc.).

What do people think ethical behavior is when one is close to sure of qualification? My thoughts were the only thing that is fair to all people at both tables was to keep playing tough. So in the sb situation I think I ought to push any 2 cards there. As it was I had 99 and raised, bb called with Ax and lost, and then followed me to other tables and the eventual sat with abusive chat.

What do people here do in this situation? Do you slowplay/collude with the people at your table (without saying anything, obviously), or do you keep playing a steal/aggressive/A-game?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 AM

There are a lot more options than the ones you posted.

As I said, for me, it didn't matter because my cards were so awful that I wouldn't have been in a hand anyway.

However, some players were on the edge of collusion. One player a few spots to my left actually talked about playing only AA and KK from there on out. This was with about 15 spots to the bubble.

The player to my immediate left actually got bent out of shape when I stole from him when in the SB and he in the BB. This was with about 25 to the bubble. As it turns out, I needed that money for an additional level of comfort near the end.

It was right after this steal that the player made the comment above, and the player on my right who I just stole from said in the chat line to the whole table, that we should heed those words and also slow down. IMHO, he crossed the ethical line there.

There was one player at the table who continued to raise preflop. He had a comfortable stack and was sure to be in, and had two very short stacks to his left. Neither of them made the cut.

Most of the other players at the table were letting the clock time out their hands. I admit to doing it about half the time myself, but the other half I just folded right away.

What I couldn't fathom was why people continued to stall when we were down to the bubble and the game was dealing hand by hand.

There were 101 spots paying an entry into the big one, with 102nd getting the remaining $70 in cash.

The waiting was pretty crucial strategically, but I wonder why so many players did it.

With about 25 to the bubble, I was in 70th place, 31 ahead of the bubble, with a relatively comfortable M of about 8 or 10. When it got down to the end, I had been blinded off to about 90th place with just a couple to go. Everyone from about 80th place back to 103rd place had an M of 2 or 3 or less, with many having an M of less than 1.5.

None of them wanted to commit. With only a small few exceptions, every single player between me and the bubble appeared to have passively waited out their blinds.

One player on my table I remember passively waiting until the end and found himself all in in the SB hold 63s. Now tell me, was that the best hand that the player had seen for the last two orbits? Doubtful. I suspect the same is true of several other players.

So this is why I think the idea warrants a thread of its own. With virtually every small stacked player playing super-super-tight, is it not smarter to get your stuff in there with a marginal holding.

As I said, for me, the last hand I played was with about 25 to go. I stole from the BB and that steal was pivotal in making it to the end. I gotta believe that other players would have had a shot if they had played rather than waited.