Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: 99, 2nd pair, mono flop, a c/r

[ QUOTE ]
Quickly, to showdown!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 AM

This isn't too tough. He could literally checkraise with any pair or big spade. If he has a jack, he prob doesn't have a spade to go with it. You don't fold this hand. In fact, I'd likely call the flop raise and then raise most non-spade cards on the turn. But I'm lagtastic like that.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I'd likely call the flop raise and then raise most non-spade cards on the turn. But I'm lagtastic like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, I don't get it.

If he has a big spade, he's calling your raise but won't bluff at the river, so your line is about even w/ a calldown, maybe a little ahead b/c he won't always bluff the river, but then again you get 3b bluffed sometimes, even w/ this oppo.

If he has a J, he's calling your raise and calling down unless he has no spade to go with it AND a spade hits the river (somewhat unlikely parlay). In this case your line seems worse than a cd.

In any case, you have no FE so I don't follow your reasoning. Please explain.

Thanks,
gm
Old 05-23-2006, 11:35 AM

gm,

folding here is TERRIBLE.

Dean
Old 05-23-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gm,

folding here is TERRIBLE.

Dean

[/ QUOTE ]

seems to be the consensus. thanks dean.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM

Short version before I got to a meeting.

There is a decent chance you are ahead; you charge him the max to suck out if he has a spade draw and he may call your turn raise with a pair and no spade backup b/c he sees you just making a showdown move with ace high. If he calls your raise and checks the river when a spade hits, you can usually bet for value wheras if he leads (as he would with a nut or near nut flush), you just muck.

It just feels right to me - but I might suck to be honest.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Short version before I got to a meeting.

There is a decent chance you are ahead; you charge him the max to suck out if he has a spade draw and he may call your turn raise with a pair and no spade backup b/c he sees you just making a showdown move with ace high. If he calls your raise and checks the river when a spade hits, you can usually bet for value wheras if he leads (as he would with a nut or near nut flush), you just muck.

It just feels right to me - but I might suck to be honest.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

You muck a donked river getting 11.5-1?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 AM

If I took this line, I'd pretty strongly consider it. When you raise the turn here, he will prob think you either have a big pair you want to protect or just have the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. When the spade comes, if he still leads into you, he doesn't fear it at all and should based on the preceeding action. I think he'll have you beat close to 100 percent of the time. Would he really donk a jack there? What spade does he have that's not bigger than a nine if he takes that line? I dunno, if you see him as totally nuts, then I guess you could pay off the river.

I really do like raising a clean turn though personally.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I took this line, I'd pretty strongly consider it. When you raise the turn here, he will prob think you either have a big pair you want to protect or just have the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. When the spade comes, if he still leads into you, he doesn't fear it at all and should based on the preceeding action. I think he'll have you beat close to 100 percent of the time. Would he really donk a jack there? What spade does he have that's not bigger than a nine if he takes that line? I dunno, if you see him as totally nuts, then I guess you could pay off the river.

I really do like raising a clean turn though personally.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

good stuff.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 PM

I like your advice, apart from folding a donked river. Quite often rivers like this get donked by good nonflush hands like two pair and sets, and rightly so. A nonflush hand will most likely check behind, and they can safely fold to a raise (not that they always do).