Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Preflop Practice Spreadsheet

Well, i checked it out and youīve obviously put time and effort to it. Thatīs admirable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it is great for new players who are having trouble in memorizing the preflop charts.

But the macro has some faults in it, imo.
For example, now it asks:
"A3s on the button".
It doesnīt say whether anyone has limped. Since it doesnīt say, i figure im the one to open.
It gives the answer "limp" (to call, that is).

There just is no way i would call with that hand. I would most definately raise. If i donīt think itīs strong enough to raise, i would fold. But not call.

Anyway, with some adjustments (more details about the hands), it would be even better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

/Riku
Old 08-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Maka,

If I remember right the sb guidelines for facing a raise are that you should be as tight as you are in EP unless there are enough CC'ers that you can call for set value. Thus the fold with 99 and lower.

Riku,

The spreadsheet is just showing whether you're facing a raise or not. So, if it doesn't say anything about a raise, you should assume the pot is limped to you. You're right, A3s would definitely be an open raise on the button.

Generally, the two situations where one would need to go outside the guidelines shown in the spreadsheet are:
-Blind steal situations (open-raising light, reraising another blind steal light, and calling in the bb with a wider range).
-Playing with a maniac at the table.

-Trebek
Old 08-11-2006, 09:08 AM

Trebek,

Tried your spreadsheet and loved it. But somehow if I click a button and it gives correct and then i click new hand, on the right hand side it doesn't fill in the details? And what are the red and pink box? I suppose button and your position

EDIT: Never mind, found it out. It only displays on the right the ones you got wrong. And the red box is the button and the pink one is your position.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Well done! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

thanks for putting in the time and effort to do this,

now try creating one for post flop play, that would be a real challenge for any expert exceler
Old 08-11-2006, 11:03 AM

This was a really nice thing to do. I am surprised none of the senior members have commented on it.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a really nice thing to do. I am surprised none of the senior members have commented on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have absolutely no idea what this is, honestly.

is this a way to practice following the sshe chart using some type of complex excel macro thinger?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a way to practice following the sshe chart using some type of complex excel macro thinger?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what it seems to be.

The reason senior members haven't commented is because they/we are beyond rote memorization of preflop.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what it seems to be.

The reason senior members haven't commented is because they/we are beyond rote memorization of preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, whatever, a learning tool is a learning tool.
i used turbo texas holdem when i first started playing.

you gotta memorize something in the beginning,(and sshe is an ok place to start) so good for OP for putting in the time to create a new tool for beginners.

as these things go, in doing the work to create this, he/she will learn more than just using someone elses work as a shortcut.

i'm too old and cranky to download and learn new things so i'l'l assume it is useful...
Old 08-11-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried it and thought that there was too much information missing to make the right decision. For starters, the number of limpers is not ever given.

Throw your charts away. Think of preflop full ring at the micro level this way:
Never limp in the first 6 seats unless you are suited or paired. Overlimping with unsuited broadways in late position is ok. Be more apt to play speculative hands like smaller suited connectors after more limpers. Limping with Axs is fine. Your borderline raising hands are 99 and KJ.

If you are playing in games where you are folded to in later position all the time, find new games or learn 6-max.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eh, whatever, a learning tool is a learning tool.
i used turbo texas holdem when i first started playing.

you gotta memorize something in the beginning,(and sshe is an ok place to start) so good for OP for putting in the time to create a new tool for beginners.

as these things go, in doing the work to create this, he/she will learn more than just using someone elses work as a shortcut.

i'm too old and cranky to download and learn new things so i'l'l assume it is useful...

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I think it's a good idea. I used Wilson's as well as PokerAce (I think that was it?). Nothing wrong with a preflop chart, but the question was how do the vets feel about it, and my answer is I support it but don't think any of us are going to use it.